Vimpulse and vim-mode

Frank Fischer frank.fischer at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Feb 28 08:19:42 CET 2011

Am Samstag, 26. Februar 2011 schrieb Christoph LANGE:

> My reason for saying that is that I'm mostly used to Vimpulse
> (running in Viper's "expert mode" 5, i.e. with full access to Emacs
> keybindings). When I once gave a quick try to vim-mode, I realized
> that some things work differently.  For example: IIRC C-f in Vimpulse
> does "page down" by default, whereas in vim-mode it does something
> else.  C-e in Vimpulse doesn't map to any vim-like feature, but to
> end-of-visual-line, whereas in vim-mode it does something else (don't
> remember, maybe copying from above/below in insert mode?).

Well, as long as the differences are just the key-bindings, there should
be no problem to provide different default sets. Sometimes commands
itself behave differently but usually those differences are small.

The default behaviour may be mysterious or by accident - they work as
they do because no one cared about that concrete behaviour, e.g., some
Emacs key-bindings work because there is no overwriting binding and the
author never used it. Therefore it is important to tell us which
behaviour is different from before or unexpected.

Bye,