[BAH-Estrecho] E. Of course you are a good

Popec Lemoyne sinologue en latus.com.au
Mie Abr 7 03:51:11 CEST 2010

" said Ermengarde. She looked ready to fly. Her lips were trembling.
"You look as tired as anything now, Ermie," said Basil. "I'll go, if it
comes to
that. Where are those wretched rusks to be found, Maggie?" "You can't
go, Basil. You are to light the fire for the gypsy tea." "It's
lighting." "Well, it's going out again. I know it is; or the kettle
is sure to boil over, or
something. Do be on the spot, and let Ermie make herself useful for once
in a way." Ermengarde ran off; the tension of her feelings would permit
of no
further delay. She heard Basil scolding Marjorie as she
hurried across the hay-field.
Ermengarde had never run so fast in her life. What should
she find when she got back to that sitting-room. Would Susy be dead? If
so----But her terrified thoughts would take her no further. She was not
a particularly active little girl, and her quick running soon deprived
her of breath. Oh, what a distance lay between that hay-field and the
house! At last the lawn was gained, then the gravel sweep,
then the side-door. She could only totter upstairs, and by the time she
reached Miss Nelson's room she was really
almost fainting. She managed to stagger across to the

cupboard, unlocked it, and then sank down in a chair. Susy instantly
made her appearance; she was not dead, but she was extremely
red in the face and very angry. "You did serve me a trick, Miss Ermie!
Oh, my word, I didn't think as you'd
treat me as bad as that! Why, I might have
been--I thought I was to be suffocated, miss." "Never mind now," said
Ermengarde. "I'm ever so sorry; I----" Her voice faltered.
In her relief and thankfulness at finding Susy alive and well, she went
up to the little girl and kissed her. Then
she burst into tears. "Miss Ermie!" If Susan Collins was

fond of anyone, it was
Ermengarde. "Don't you take on, miss," she said affectionately. Ermie's
tears touched her so much that she felt she would have endured another
half-hour
of the cupboard to help her. "Don't cry, please, Miss Ermie," said Susy.
"I know you couldn't help yourself.
I didn't want you to have a scolding; no,