[Solar-general] "no ideologicemos el concepto de software público "

Juan Carlos Gentile jucar en hipatia.info
Jue Ago 18 23:34:09 CEST 2011

Un correo viejo de Arun ( de gnu.org.in - uno de los fundadores )

Re: [hipatia-socios] documento
From: Arun M <.....................>
  To:
La lista de los socios de ONG-hipatia <hipatia en listas.hipatia.net>
  Date:
2010-08-19 08:36
Dear All,

I learn that there is some discussion in Hipatia on use of term public
software.
I dont follow it due to linguistic barrier. But I thought i should give a
quick update
of what is happening in India.

I've been keeping away from free software scene in India for last one and a
half year.
Partly the reason is I see a bureaucratic-NGO take over of free software
scene
in India. Philosophy  and community does not stand much any more (Money
Money Money!).

Couple of weeks back I got a call from a friend who works with Govt of
Kerala. He
told me that chief bureaucrat in the govt received a letter from an NGO
suggesting
that term Free and Open Source Software in the govt policy document may be
replace with 'Public Software'. Bureaucrat was in favor of the suggestion.
But I asked
minister's office to reject the suggestion as any change in policy needs ot
be done
only in consultation with public. (We had several rounds of public open
discussions
across the region to arrive at our policy- very open transparent process)

Then I tried to understand what is public sector software. One document I
found is attached to this letter.
I feel that intention here is not very good. Going through search results I
got I found that it is just a single organisation, IT for Change, which does
not have any considerable experience or commitment on free
software that tries to promote this. Though it is good that they are trying
to promote free software in
government. To me their strategy looks to be an effort to remove freedom
from the discussion. Same
old issue with Open Source, while Open Source was coined in the interest of
private business, here new
name to enter into public projects- Accessing public fund, making friends
with  !

Interestingly this group which does not have any experience in free software
obtained funding from EU and UNESCO !!!! Now you see right ? Who needs
community, who needs freedom ! Free software movement, as it is
getting institutionalized through complacent NGO, is loosing revolutionary
content. Only good thing is Richard has put it in a very strong foundation
with GNU GPL.

(I am loosing my interest in free software movement as a revolutionary
movement. It has been taken over by NGOs and Financial interests.Doesnt mean
that I dont contribute or support the idea).

Couple of links:

http://www.itforchange.net/oss/83-ps.html
https://www.pubsoft.org/pubsoft.py/index
http://public-software-centre.org/

On Thursday 18 August 2011, Diego Saravia wrote:
> > aun desde una filosofia talibana del SL,
>
> eso es un insulto. que tienen que ver los talibanes con el soft libre?
>
> > yo creo que HAY que ideologizar el tema,
>
> El tema es ideologico, lamentablemente, en el sentido marxista y
> peyorativo de la ideologia
>
> es decir ideologia es lo que no es ciencia
>

> lo que hay que hacer es politizar el tema
>
> > lo que quedo claro en estas jornadas que hay un fuerte criterio,
> > que seguramente pasara a ser el mas sustentable,
> > que la licencia basica debe ser la GPL v 2.0,
>
> por que no 3.0?
>
> > o lo que salga de una traduccion autorizada,
> > o lo que apruebe una norma local respetando la 4 libertades, etc...,
> > con la necesaria modificacion jurisdiccionbal respecto del tramite
> > judicial sobre posibles controversias respecto de la propia licencia.
>
> el tramite es internacional en muchos casos
>
> el 99 % del soft libre tiene licencia con autores en otros paises
>
> > Lo propuesto de nuestra ONTI, no es algo tan simple,
> > pero el debate esta abierto,
>
> que seria eso?

> Solar-General es una lista abierta a toda la comunidad, sin ninguna
> moderación, por lo que se apela a la tolerancia y al respeto mutuo. Las
> opiniones expresadas son responsabilidad exclusiva de sus respectivos/as
> autores/as. La Asociación Solar no se hace responsable por los mensajes
> vertidos, ni representan necesariamente el punto de vista de la Asociación
> Solar.
>
> Solar-general en lists.ourproject.org
> https://lists.ourproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/solar-general

			Karmanyevadhikarasthe
			ma phaleshu kadachana

Fingerprint = EBFC CDE9 E57C 3EAD 65B1  2A59 5364 48C8 EACF 7357
Public key = 0xEACF7357 at http://pgp.mit.edu