[Solar-general] algo mas de David :)

Juan Carlos Gentile jucar en hipatia.info
Jue Mar 23 04:30:19 CET 2006

The Mothers of Plaza de Mayo are a symbol for freedom, courage, hope,
and social justice, for Argentina and Latin America as a whole, in much
the way that, for example, that Desmond Tutu is a symbol for the people
of South Africa, and perhaps Africa as a whole.  While most people on
this list of course already know this, what many do not know is how we,
as free software and free knowledge people, can help the Madres
university, a popular university itself a model of free knowledge, to
further educate others.

When I visit Argentina, it will be principally to correct a mistake
another had made, for I can think of no immediately better home for the
ideals and goals of software freedom or free knowledge than the Madres
University.  But my goal should not be simply to speak there.  I wish to
see free software used to directly further the mission of the
university, and I believe this is where others on this list can help.

We can help by helping them to establish and deploy tools for teaching
using free software.  One particular project I think would be very
useful is the Knowledge Environment for Web based e-Learning (Kewl),
developed out of the University of West Cape.  This could offer the
possibility for Madres to engage in distance learning, and hence reach
out beyond those who can physically attend the university itself.  VoIP
could also offer possibilities, both for distance learning, and even
general use.

Basic infrastructure needs can and should be met by free software.  Of
course I would love to see Daniel's work on Ututo used there also,
whether for backend services or for classroom use.  I imagine hardware
can be found or donated to support such an effort as well.  Even very
old hardware can be effectivily used in an effort like this.  In fact,
it may be worthwhile to also demonstrate this using Ututo, which can be
so very well optimized.  I think we should look at what the Madres
University and similar efforts are doing in terms of where we think the
ideas behind free knowledge should go.