[Solar-general] (Original) Artistic License

Marcos Guglielmetti marcospcmusica en yahoo.com.ar
Sab Sep 24 15:39:59 CEST 2005

Hola, por ahora, esta es la respuesta que recibí del mantenedor d4x de Debian:
NO.

Re: d4x & razor licenses
De: Julien BLACHE <jblache en debian.org>
Para: marcospcmusica en yahoo.com.ar
CC: Corrin Lakeland <lakeland en debian.org>
Fecha: 24/09/05 11:36

Marcos Guglielmetti <marcospcmusica en yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

Hi,

>       dx4 has an artistic license, which FSF consider it is non free. We
have the
> same problem with razor.
>
>       Debian think that the artistic license is a free software compatible
license,
> so, if any of our users do

> they will have non-free software acording to the FSF analysis.

Debian considers the Artistic license to be free according to the
Debian Free Software Guidelines. What the FSF believes to be free or
not doesn't matter here, as far as Debian is concerned.

If you read the FSF's license list carefully, you'll notice that they
never write the Artistic License is non-free. They say it's too vague,
and that's it.

>       So, how can we solve this problem?
>
>       Could these packages be moved to non-free repositories into Debian?
Or,
> better, could you remove these packages until the authors change the
license?

As for d4x, the answers are no and no. d4x was originally non-free,
and I had its author change its license for the Artistic license
*because the license suited his needs and wishes*. I'm pretty sure
he's not going to change the license once again -- moreover doing so
would need written agreement of every patch contributor.

JB.

--
 Julien BLACHE <jblache en debian.org>  |  Debian, because code matters more
 Debian & GNU/Linux Developer        |       <http://www.debian.org>

1GB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
http://correo.yahoo.com.ar