[Musix-users] Do I run a low-latency and realtime kernel?

Marcos Guglielmetti marcospcmusica at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 14:30:44 CEST 2007

Hi, I was thinking for a while, and... there is possible that the problem with
freewheeling could be related to a bad video configuration (slow), it should
not be, JACK must run OK and realtime in any case, but... lets see

Did you tried another video configurations?

is your videocard accelerated?

Did you tried using xorgmusix.sh?

ctrl+alt+f1

login as root

killall kdm

killall Xorg

xorgmusix.sh

kdm

And see if it works better...

Also you can try with videoconfig.sh as root.

El Lun 09 Abr 2007 12:54, julien bodd escribió:
 | Hi all,
 |
 | I'm experiencing tons of xruns and sound saturation when I use
 | zynAddSubFx in combination with freewheeling (live looper).
 |
 | I went through the linux-audio-users-request mailing list and I saw
 | that a low-latency kernel is not the same with a realtime kernel.
 |
 | When I do : uname - a, I have :
 | ... 2.6.16-beyond4.1 #1 PREEMPT Sun May 28 ...
 |
 | So my kernel is low-latency? But, it doesn't seem it is realtime as I
 | have installed no patch (Ingo Molnar patch). It doesn't seem to be
 | PREEMPT_RT. Or is it included in Musix by default?
 |
 | This might be the problem.
 |
 | Another thing I see is that when I run QJackCtl, it doesn't seem to
 | run realtime!
 | Although it does not complain and I have activated the R (realtime)
 | switch. I can see it is not realtime because there is a RT indicator
 | that is not yellow.
 | I tried running as root, and it is the same.
 |
 | I have libpam-modules installed (0.79-4) and I added :
 | /etc/security/limits.conf
 | @audio		 -	 rtprio		 99
 | @audio		 -	 nice		 -10
 | @audio		 -	 memlock	 250000
 |
 | (I belong to the audio group of course)
 |
 | (I also tried some optimizations with fluxbox, no 3D accel, disable
 | unnecessary services, increase  pci latency for soundcard..)
 |
 | So, I is the problem the lack of realtime patch, or a bad version of
 | QJackCtl?
 |

 | Thank you very much, and sorry for this long post !
 |
 | Julien

Marcos Guglielmetti
* Director del desarrollo de Musix GNU+Linux, 100% Software Libre
* Colabora: http://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php/Musix1.0tasks
* CD Download: (http://www.musix.org.ar/en/)
* Videos, programas, etc.: ftp://musix.ourproject.org/pub/musix/
* Reporte de errores:
https://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php?title=Problemas-Bugs
*IRC: #musix channel on freenode
* http://autosus.wordpress.com/

«No te tomes en serio nada que no te haga reír» [un amigo de E. Galeano]
... tampoco sigas al pie de la letra ninguna de estas frases...