[Musix-users] problems booting and installing

Marcos Guglielmetti marcospcmusica at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Mar 26 16:20:11 CEST 2006

De: Marcos Guglielmetti Gmail
<marcospcmusica at gmail.com>  (www.pc-musica.com.ar)
  Para: Musix GNU+Linux users list <musix-users at lists.ourproject.org>
  Fecha: 25/03/06 23:00
El Dom 26 Mar 2006 03:11, Peter Corbett escribió:
> Hi
>
> I am having problems both booting and installing Musix GNU + Linux. I
> have tried pressing enter when the initial prompt appears and it
> takes me to a screen asking if I want to install.

Hi, that's weird: the boot process should take you to a screen with
this:

"Type starten and then press [enter]  to
        start an English Desktop Session."

        ...so then the X server (with the Desktop) starts up.

> At the boot screen
> I have also tried typing "musix tohd=/dev/hda1" and it says "could
> not find the kernel image "musix".

It sounds like a damaged ISO image, did you checked it?

What Musix version are you trying?

> I tried the automatic installation
> in the screen that comes up when I just hit enter at the boot and it
> gets to a screen that says that the installation will finish and
> shutdown after I hit enter.

Mmmm...

        Well, lets see... I think that you followed this steps:

1 clic install icon on the desktop
2 create HD partitions
3 Installation Config (a lot of options)
4 Start installation

        Did you followed those steps?

> After hitting enter, I have left it for 8
> or so hours and it still hasn't progressed.

But, there is a progress bar or something like this? There are strage
errors into the terminal windows?

> So then I rebooted and
> tried typing "musix fromhd=/dev/hda1" into the prompt.

That's not for booting an installed Musix system: that's only to boot up
from a previous Musix ISO copy.

        If you install the system, it will install a master boot record
manager
(GRUB) into your HD (and, of course, it will copy all the files into a
HD partition) and you will not need the CD nevermore.

> Again, it
> responds with "could not find the kernel image: musix".  Can anybody
> help me?

I think it's damaged... tell us.

Good luck!