[Musix-users] Re: failed installation

Marcos Guglielmetti marcospcmusica at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 20:33:45 CEST 2006

Hola Jesus Arocho:
> Hello Marcos:
>
> I must sadly report that our experiences so far have been mixed for the
> installation of 0.49.  I had very few problems with the install of 0.39 on
> the same machine, so I see the 0.49 install as a step backwards; at least
> on my system.

Corrupted ISO?

md5sum? did you checked?

> The first problem was the default keyboard mapping.  Finding the = sign for
> vsync=... was a chore, as well as later on finding the key for /.

Mmm.... I think we did not chage it from 0.39 to 0.49

or not?

> I used
> the instructions you provided below (englishrt vsync=60 screen=1024x768
> fb800x600) and the cd booted into English but not at the resolution
> requested.  I clicked on install and the subsequent dialog was in Spanish;

You can use (click) knxinstaller: it's into english and german languages

> I did not have a problem but for an English speaking person it would have
> been. The system installed onto the harddrive and at reboot a selection
> screen was presented with four images available.  Only the fourth one was
> accepted and then it proceeded to create the proper images (incomplete
> install?).

Mm... ODD!!

What kind of hard disk do you have?

Could you send a report?

Musix -->> settings --> PCINFO

> Much to our surprise the install was in Spanish!.

From KDM: icewm-english

> Ok, so now I have to
> change the locale for each user, in addition to the keyboard layout.  The
> installer does not allow me to set or verify the network connections during
> the install so I had to make corrections to the network setup before I
> could run apt-get.

That could be a new functionality to be included into the installers

> Resolution was still 800x600 and only one was available in the kde
> selection screen; so presumably I will have to reconfigure X11 files.

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

> Considering my much easier experiences with Mandriva and Kubuntu on the
> same machine I can only conclude that the installer can use an update.

We will do it better next times :D

> After two hours of work we decided to stop and continue the fight another
> day; so, we will have no comment on the sound system itself (delta 44
> board, etc) until later.

Ok, good luck!

--
Marcos Guglielmetti
* Director del desarrollo de Musix GNU+Linux, 100% Software Libre