[Musix-users] Re: [Rosegarden-user] Musix GNU+Linux 0.39 has been released!

Marcos Guglielmetti Gmail marcospcmusica at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 19:42:06 CEST 2006

Hola Hiran Watson:
> What's the difference between the two install kernels
> (2.6.15.3-rt-musix & 2.6.13-1-multimedia)?

Hi, one was compiled here, the other was taken from DeMuDi... newer
kernels must have better hardware support, but we are just learning how
to do the things right.

> That is, do the name
> endings mean anything different, or is the only difference the
> version number of the kernel?

Both things. "multimedia" is from Debian Multimedia Distribution

> Thanks. Also, I was looking through the
> wiki at the different installation types, and what's the main
> difference between beginner and debian installation?

Begginer: it acts almost as the live-cd boot up process

> From what I read
> on the wiki, the beginner installation will do a hardware recognition
> when booting, while the debian installation won't.

That's right, but we must correct this page: it's wrong (old): now the
Debian way is different, but it makes hardware detection.

> Is that the only
> difference?

Yes: the boot up scripts: /etc/rcS.d
/etc/rc(#).d/

> Also, is it hard to set up new hardware manually?

It depends on many things... but most of the hardware set up is done
automatically

> I'd
> still consider myself a newbie/intermediate when it comes to linux,
> especially things like adding new hardware, and so while I'd like to
> go through the debian installation, is it hard to set up new hardware
> afterward - especially an external usb soundcard, and a midi
> keyboard/controller?

No: the system must install them automatically

> Thanks.
>
> God bless
> Hiran

Sorry about my ugly english!