[P2P-F] [WSF-Discuss] Human Use of Human Beings by SS. Wiener (1989)

Orsan orsan1234 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 21:28:55 CEST 2015

Hi Denis,

This is a long quote from the intro:

"G.H. Hardy, the Cambridge mathematician and author of A Mathematician's Apology, reflecting on the value of mathematics, insisted that it is a 'harmless and innocent occupation'. 'Real mathematics has no effects on war', he explained in a book for the general public in 1940. 'No one has yet discovered any warlike purpose to be served by the theory of numbers or relativity . . . A real mathematician has his conscience dear.' Yet, in fact, at that time physicists were already actively engaged in experiments converting matter into energy (a possibility implied by the Theory of Relativity) in anticipation of building an atomic bomb. Of the younger generation which he taught, Hardy wrote, 'I have helped to train other mathematicians, but mathematicians of the same kind as myself, and their work has been, so far at any rate as have helped them to it, as useless as my own . . . '
Norbert Wiener took issue with his mentor. He thought Hardy's attitude to be 'pure escapism', noted that the ideas of number theory are applied in electrical engineering, and that 'no matter how innocent he may be in his inner soul and in his motivation, the effective mathematician is likely to be a powerful factor in changing the face of society. Thus he is really as dangerous as a potential armourer of the new scientific war of the future.' The neat separation of pure and applied mathematics is only a mathematician's self-servingillusion.

Wiener came to address the alternative to innocence -namely, taking responsibility. After he himself had during World War II worked on a mathematical theory of prediction intended to enhance the effectiveness of anti-aircraft fire, and developed a powerful statistical theory of communication which would put modern communication engineering on a rigorous mathematical footing, any pretence of harmlessness was out of the question for him. From the time of the end of the war until his death in 1964, Wiener applied his penetrating and innovative mind to identifying and elaborat­ing on a relation of high technology to people which is benign or, in his words, to the human - rather than the inhuman - use of human beings. In doing so during the years when the cold war was raging in the United States, he found an audience among the generally educated public. However, most of his scientific colleagues - offended or embarrassed by Wiener's views and especially by his open refusal to engage in any more work related to the military - saw him as an eccentric at best and certainly not to be taken seriously except in his undeniably brilliant, strictly mathematical, researches. Albert Einstein, who regarded Wiener's attitude towards the military as exemplary, was in those days similarly made light of as unschooled in political matters."

Weather in competition to Nazis, or Communists, these people served to complex and systemic development of what is about to get almost realized a SkyNet of cybernetic control as in Total Recall or Big brother as in 1984, or Panopticon in Bentham's imagination. As founders of such mathematic based holistic vision of how complex systems interact and rise, it would be very fun if they missed to see what they are being part of, and not opt out, nor resist.

Recently in another list engaged in a discussion with some friends, about supposedly one of most radical strands of the left known as autonomia traditionally giving their En language distribution to the MIT press; famous publishing house that publishes supposedly mostly on left-radical-autonomist-anarchist revolutionary resistance strategy targeting  this emerging dark-net is syndicated to MIT territory. Told them that this is like giving the most advanced armory to enemy for protection and spread of revolution. I like to look into deeper for Wiener's role -with others like McLuhan, and some others from psychology-physiology fields and the advancing of 'military deception science'

Best, Orsan

Sent from my iPad