[P2P-F] [WSF-Discuss] Human Use of Human Beings by SS. Wiener (1989)

Denis Postle denis.postle at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 07:01:02 CEST 2015

Hi Orsan,
As Brian suggests I suspect you may be adrift about Weiner personally
but the integration of military and political agendas of the kind you
describe was very apparent while I was working and visiting MIT in the 60s.

For some background, take a look at my 1965 film about MIT 'How to be
First' <http://www.veoh.com/watch/v47355561kATdtzG8>which MIT tried
(unsuccessfuly) to block being transmitted in the US due to the way it
points to MIT's integration with the military/industrial complex . I
recall being impressed that some of the usual banks of IBM tape machine
had tags attached saying 'Property of the Department of the Navy'.
Denis

On 17/08/2015 18:53, Orsan wrote:

> Probably there is a short circuit here as Franz and Brian you may be
> rightly identified.. Yet how naive can a brain like Wiener? To miss
> where life is leading him, and his work, paid by state and army. Can a
> scientist be so precise and creative in systemic thinking and knows so
> much about its relation of developing control mechanisms, and then be
> so naive about where it is going... Does she or he have the luxury of
> being ir- or non-responsible?
>
> Wiener, Bertalanffy, Hebb, Von Neumann, Boltzmann, Bohr, even Einstein
> ... This large network of East European scientists and philosophers,
> interestingly most of them having reformist-Jewish family back ground,
> and somehow influenced by the relativist and energetic ideas and work
> of Ernst Mach- most of them linked to or connected to -in Europe-
> Vienna circle and Mont Pellerin society and -in US- Chicago where Von
> Misses and Von Hayek (both are staunch followers of Carl Menger) built
> their hubs (later Chicago centered Austrian School of Economists -
> also known as 'Mach circle') and attracted state and corporate funders
> like Rockefeller, Ford, Rand. These hubs became central to the
> emergence of the Big Brother: networks of state and TNCs led
> cybernetics and complex systems management centers (known as operation
> research units) like Los Alamos, MIT labs, Silicon Valley, as Google's
> and NSA-Prism's birth places.
>
> May be in terms of Wiener's or Bertalanffy's specific personalities I
> have followed incorrectly connected dots and reached early/wrong
> opinions. Yet I believe that they were very well aware of what they
> have been doing, and what that was serving for. This is totally
> opposite to what Bogdanov have done and how he done that, he developed
> much more complete, compact and flawless theorization of complex
> systems and their internal, external and interconnected dynamic
> formation and changes, to steer the change bottom up. Not to steer thr
> steerers, from winter palace. The most important point is what SSCB
> missed with Bogdanov is caught and exploited by the West by resulting
> in most sophisticated and meta-algorithmic war and oppression machine,
> that is globalized capital and the transnationalised state, resting on
> transnationally networked control and informational management of
> organization of the people, things, ideas, behaviors, even nerves, and
> genes.
>
> Orsan
>

> On 17 aug. 2015, at 16:52, Brian K Murphy <BrianKMurphy at bell.net
> <mailto:BrianKMurphy at bell.net>> wrote:
>
>> Have you actually /read/ this book, Orsan?  I have considered it
>> ‘required reading’ since I discovered it in the late sixties.  It is
>> a profound and trenchant warning about the dehumanizing trajectory of
>> technology in the 20th century, and the inevitable enslavement of
>> humans in the service of the machine...
>>

>> On 16 Aug 2015, at 10:52 am, Orsan wrote:
> [...]

new site text

I have a new web-site: denis.postle.net <http://denis.postle.net> -
street poetry, free ebooks, writing, photos, videos, music and therapy
all in one place.

---