[P2P-F] CIC, Commons Transitions and P2P-F. responding to Orsan

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sat Aug 2 07:18:11 CEST 2014

Orsan asks:

<<> background at

http://p2pfoundation.net/Why_We_Need_a_New_Kind_of_Open_Cooperativism_for_the_P2P_Age
> (short) ;

http://p2pfoundation.net/From_the_Communism_of_Capital_to_a_Capital_for_the_Commons
> (long)

This sounds really interesting, do you mean as P2P-F or Commons
Strategy Group will be forming alliance with the CIC?>>

This is about the P2P Foundation, not the CSG

<<> we want to do this both 'top down' by talking to party leaders, and
bottom
> up, through the creation of local alliances and chambers of the commons;
the
> latter is not getting much traction yet, but there is definite interest in
> parties like Syriza (at least part of it) to discuss commons oriented
policy
> orientations

above, do you mean that the 'top down' is not getting traction?>>

Orsan, none of the two is reallly getting tractions, but there are early
sign that these potentialities are maturing. One is a string of
conversations with people like Uffe Elbaek, Neal Lawson, who, given the EU
electoral victories for the radical right forces, say, 'the time is now' to
start pushing for it. and even a first question came here by marco guistini
asking for the creation of a commons party ..

the signs of bottom up political trends is very meager as well, but there
are certainly unifying commons conferences and festivals happening such as
the commonsfest in Crete and topical coalitions around commons urbanism

but if you see what is happening in Italy around the Commons, a wide
variety of political and policy initiatives, then I would say now is the
time to seriously start pushing these new ideas and have them circulate,

I would like to work with you on this projects

<<and the above evaluation and perspestive from a deep dive is very
interesting as well. I was wondering what was the reason in making it
as a closed session, and was it taking place between individuals
participating in grassroots movements or representing
(semi-)hierarchically formed organisations? Just to understand if this
is part of top-down or bottom up practice.>>,

I have done a number of these exploratory deep dives, funded by FPH and
Boll foundations, to prepare the ICC and ECC conferences ... as we only
have funding for a very small number (10 to 25), they are indeed closed and
invitation only, but the invitees are meant to be representative of
regions, gender, political forces .. though they are there as individuals,
not as representers .. the idea is to explore the concerns of people in
particular fields to inform the organisation of larger initiatives ..

I realize this may not sound very p2p but because the selection procedures
for quality of knowledge and discourse, they work extremely well, I guess
we can consider them as meritocratic processes

--
*Please note an intrusion wiped out my inbox on February 8; I have no
record of previous communication, proposals, etc ..*

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/