[JoPP-Public] JoPP journal #9

Mathieu ONeil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Sat Oct 29 15:07:59 CEST 2016

Hi Peter, Willi, all

This is an old discussion so I will summarise the main arguments:

The clear benefit of having a central archived forum such as a list vs many separate comments on articles, blog posts, social media etc is that a list is "push media": everyone interested in the journal gets it, you don't need to search content out and risk missing anything.

Moreover, I don't believe we are under any obligation to provide an open platform to anyone in our journal. As I see it, we are aiming to present persuasive and well-thought out ideas about P2P, and we debate collectively how best to achieve this goal on lists. Now, if someone wants to debate with an author, they can do so on this list, or do it privately, and then it would be up to the author(s) to decide whether they wanted to include an addendum to their article (for ex), or write another article.

Otherwise we are essentially imposing a perspective on authors, who may not wish to have to respond to all and sundry who make critical comments. For example personally I would not like it if someone made comments such as the ones at the end of the blog post linked to below to a JoPP article, as they are not respectful and it would be embarrassing for the author:

https://blog.p2pfoundation.net/discussion-a-critique-of-left-politics/2014/03/28

Opening all articles to comments would probably require moderation, a time-consuming activity. So, what I'm trying to say is that genuine, substantial discussion should of course be encouraged but that there needs to be mechanisms for this discussion to be freely agreed to by both sides - not imposed.

cheers,

Mathieu