[PeDAGoG] CORE (Curriculum Open-access Resources in Economics)

Irene Sotiropoulou irene.sotiropoulou at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 00:35:27 CEST 2022

Hi Christine,

Many languages have terms about the economy and economic activity, but we
do not pay attention.

Some links that might be useful, because I work on this question for many
years now
https://www.academia.edu/2330013/Economic_activity_in_Greece_without_official_currency_The_terms_and_their_economies
its summary https://www.academia.edu/4071931/Terms_and_their_economies_2013

 a study about Cretan language-dialect and non-monetary economics
https://www.academia.edu/7009373/Cretan_Terms_for_non_monetary_transactions

this is an experimental study concerning terms related to collective land
management management
https://www.academia.edu/37466687/Moires_and_Miri_lands_Some_linguistic_coincidences_and_a_discussion_about_land_ownership

this one who is to be published soon as a paper, showing that language
contains not only other economic ideas but also history we miss in official
records.
https://www.academia.edu/38064996/Many_languages_in_one_economy_or_many_economies_in_one_language

And this is the general approach through which I turned to use languages in
economic research.
https://www.academia.edu/43517939/What_is_Grassroots_Economics

In general, giving up languages, dialects, or even slang to think about the
economy is not a mistake of the "economy" but ours.
Finally, a clarification: English language as such is not to blame, this is
a people's creation and has more anticapitalist information than mainstream
economic theory wants us to know. It is a certain class of people who
turned the word economy into what we abhor today.
Solidarity,
Irene

Στις Δευ 27 Ιουν 2022 στις 10:28 μ.μ., ο/η Christine Dann <
christine at horomaka.org> έγραψε:

> [...]
>>> days. Also the connections with fossil fuel extraction and use.
>>>
>>> If I were a teenager today and had a choice between studying economics
>>> in a classroom or learning gardening in a community garden, I know what the
>>> smart choice would be.
>>>
>>> Christine
>>>

>>> p 59 “This time round, it’s not just a matter of improving, changing,
>>> greening or revolutionising the ‘economic’ system, but of *completely
>>> doing without the Economy.*”
>>>
>>> p 60 “*Homo oeconomicus *has nothing native, natural or autochthonous
>>> about him, as we’ve long known. Strictly speaking, he comes from on high … *from
>>> the top down*, and not at all from ordinary practical experience, *from
>>> the ground up*, from the relationships that lifeforms maintain with
>>> other lifeforms.”
>>>
>>> p 60 “For the Economy to expand … as the bedrock of all possible life on
>>> earth, an enormous amount of infrastructure building is required to impose
>>> it as an obvious fact against the dogged resistance put up by the most
>>> common experience in reaction to such violent colonisation.”
>>>
>>> p 61 [Without this infrastructure] “no one would ever have invented
>>> ‘individuals’ capable of a selfishness drastic enough, constant enough,
>>> consistent enough to not ‘owe anyone anything’ and to see all others as
>>> ‘aliens’ and all life forms as ‘resources’. Beneath the evidence of a
>>> native, primal Economy lie three centuries of economisation….” [this
>>> preliminary embedding requires extreme violence]
>>>
>>> p 62 [In order not to stay in the economisation trap, the way out
>>> proposed by Duzan Kazik] “… consists in *never agreeing* to say of any
>>> subject whatever that ‘it has an economic dimension’! Bowing to that
>>> dimension … always boils down to suggesting that, on the one hand, there is
>>> a profound, essential, vital reality – the economic situation – but that on
>>> the other hand, we could nonetheless, if we had the time, take ‘other
>>> dimensions’ into account – social, moral, political dimensions and even,
>>> why not, if there’s anything left over, an ‘ecological dimension’… Well,
>>> reasoning accordingly means giving the Economy a material reality it
>>> doesn’t have, and lending a hand to a power that trickles down from on
>>> high.”
>>>
>>> pp 74 - 75 “As soon as you describe a territory the right way round, you
>>> feel in your bones why the Economy could not be realistic or materialistic
>>> …. Embracing the Economy means interrupting the resumption of interactions
>>> by inventing beings who won’t have to account for themselves on the pretext
>>> that they’re autonomous individuals whose limits are protected by an
>>> exclusive right of ownership.”
>>>

>>> On 25/06/22 06:21, Steven J. Klees wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Christian,
>>>
>>> The CORE curriculum is an improvement over standard approaches in
>>> economics departments but it is fundamentally neoclassical.  It moves away
>>> from neoliberalism but is firmly ensconced in a liberal view of markets and
>>> capitalism.  Putting lipstick on a pig is, to me, an appropriate
>>> characterization.  Check out the attached New Yorker article.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Steve

>>> --
>>> Prof. Dr. Aram Ziai
>>> Chair of Development and Postcolonial Studies
>>> Executive Director Global Partnership Network
>>> Faculty of Social Sciences
>>> University of Kassel
>>> Nora-Platiel-Str. 1
>>> 34109 Kassel