[PeDAGoG] Today's Networking Session Follow-Up

Schöneberg, Julia, Dr. Julia.Schoeneberg at uni-kassel.de
Wed Jul 8 19:48:59 CEST 2020

Dear friends,

Many thanks to all who could make it and join. It was a joy getting to know you more directly and starting to draft collaborative action!
To keep everyone in the loop, we are sharing the discussion results.

Please everyone - also and especially if you couldn't be in the session - be invited to add your thoughts and ideas and build on it collectively. https://board.net/p/PeDAGoG_Networking

One important outcome of conversations is, that it would be fruitful to gather round in "working groups" around different topics and actions. We have started collecting some, but obviously the list is non-conclusive and can continuously be elaborated. Everyone is invited to add their names to the list of volunteers!

Three points on interaction we would like to highlight in particular:

  1.  People are welcome to invite others within their networks to join PEDAGOG - and maybe include a link for the mail address to subscribe
  2.  If people would prefer to remain anonymous on the public spaces, they can email Brandon to express their interest in particular groups and he can connect them.
  3.  The lesson from today is that everyone is welcome to initiate an activity, a meeting or a discussion in the network so please feel free to go ahead and suggest things!

Some immediate points on the next steps:

  1.  STRUCTURE AND ORGANISING

  *   Organising the communication and sharing in the PEDAGOG space so that material is accessible and not overwhelming the list
  *   social-media presence?
  *   Series of events where we share the approaches we are taking - webinar series from PEDAGOG?
  *   Think about what gaps (geographical, thematic) exist and could be filled (e.g., currently lack of members from Africa)?
  *   Creating a map of our expertise -  create a visual tool with themes that concern this group - overlapping circles?
  *   Can some of us find institutional backing, funds?

  1.  PEDAGOGIC AND KNOWLEDGE SHARING ACTIVITIES:

Potential to develop sub-groups on the following as a start:

  *   Feminism and political ecology
  *   Teaching exchange through zoom co-teaching
  *   Collaborative journal article writing
  *   Collaboration on Masters education and exchange and summer schools
  *   Youth activist-research outside of mainstream academic structures

  1.  COLLECTIVE VALUES AND PRINCIPLES OF THE PEDAGOG NETWORK

  *   Ethics and values of PeDAGoG

We need a statement on these for the kinds of transformations we want in society, the kind of academics/learning/teaching we feel is 'right', and the ethics for our own internal functioning of PeDAGoG as a network

  *   Suggestion: Small group of volunteers to start a draft
Three levels that might be important:
                                1. Ethics of the transformations we want in society - direction of the transformaiton
2. Ethics of our own teaching and learning spaces
3. Ethics of the PEDAGOG network itself - open, inclusive, non-hierarchical

Keep in touch!

Solidarity,

Vasna, Brandon, Ashish, Julia

--
Dr. Julia Schöneberg

University of Kassel
Chair for Development and Postcolonial Studies
DFG-funded project "Theorizing Post-Development"
Untere Königsstraße 71
34127 Kassel

Twitter: @j_schoeneberg
--

RECENT PUBLICATIONS

(2020) It is time to abandon "development" goals and demand a post-2030 Utopia<https://www.globalstudies.ugent.be/it-is-time-to-abandon-development-goals-and-demand-a-post-2030-utopia/2/> (with Mia Kristin Häckl), Ghent Global Studies Blog

(2019) Development: a failed project<https://www.convivialthinking.org/index.php/2019/11/29/development-a-failed-project/>, Blog for Open Democracy

(2019) Imagining Postcolonial-Development Studies - Reflections on Positionality and Research Practices, in: Baud, Isabelle, Tiina Kontinen, Elisabetta Basile (eds.): "Building Development Studies for the New Millennium" (EADI Series on Global Development), Palgrave MacMillan: London.

(2019) Manoueuvring political realms: Alternatives to Development in Haiti, in: Elise Klein, Carlos Eduardo Morreo (eds.) Post-Development in Practice, Routledge: London.