[Solar-parla] The showing--" The newcomer shrugged his shoulder

Kaak Flye biscuits at wilsonymca.com
Mon Aug 17 14:25:42 CEST 2009

Ran shining steel rails upon which were mounted tapering structures of
steel, from which cables crossed the gorge, carrying great buckets of
concrete for the work below. Heavy walls were growing out of the depths.
"The ships will come up out of the sea through this cut," Peter
explained. "Then they'll climb the hill," scorned Jimmie. "They will
stop down there," said Peter, "and the lock gates will be closed, and
the water will lift them to the level of the lake." "I don't see no
lake," observed the skeptical Jimmie. "The lake will lie where the low
land is, over there," replied Peter, pointing. "The Gatun dam will block
the water and make a lake 85 feet above sea level, covering one hundred
and sixty-four square miles of earth." "So the most of the canal will be
lake?" asked the boy. "Quite a lot of it," was the reply. "And if any
one should blow up the dam, after it gets on its job, the ships would
have to climb a ladder if they got over to Panama," he exclaimed.
"Something like that," Peter said. "Where is the Gatun dam?" asked Jack.
"It is going up over there," Peter replied, pointing out a low, broad
ridge which appeared to link two hills together. "That is what will make
the inland sea, and that is the lump of earth we came here to look
after." "It is a busy place night and day," Ned said. "See the electric
towers and wires? Work never stops." "Something like His Nobbs," grinned
Jimmie. "I wonder if he has had any sleep since he struck our trail?" "I
haven't seen him since we left the train," Jack said. "Perhaps he has
delivered us over to the Panama division of the Anti-Canal Benevolent
Society. In that case, we shall see no more of him." After a time the
boys strolled over to a neat little hotel on the principal street of the
town, and there saw Lieutenant Gordon, who strolled up to Ned, just