[Solar-general] (mas jugo :)[Fwd: [Team] “peace agreement” with SOLAR, Vía Libre, FSFs?]]

Juan Carlos Gentile Fagundez jucar en hipatia.info
Sab Ago 1 01:33:54 CEST 2009

va cc para Rafael Bonifaz

To: team en fsfla.org
From: Alexandre Oliva <lxoliva en fsfla.org>
Subject: [Team] “peace agreement” with SOLAR, Vía Libre, FSFs?
	<mailto:team-request en fsfla.org?subject=subscribe>

The Caracas Declaration brought about some significant amount of noise
from our usual friends in Argentina and elsewhere.

Hipatia's Juan Carlos Gentile didn't miss a beat before attacking us,
SOLAR's Martín Olivera disputed our legitimacy, misunderstood and
questioned the misunderstood suggestion of setting aside long-past
historical differences, and SOLAR's Diego Saravia insisted on the
agreement that he wanted us to sign with SOLAR long ago.

http://lists.ourproject.org/pipermail/solar-general/2009-July/050104.html
http://lists.ourproject.org/pipermail/solar-general/2009-July/050109.html
http://lists.ourproject.org/pipermail/solar-general/2009-July/050126.html

My first reaction to the thought of the agreement with SOLAR was the
same as then: what's in it for us, what would the point be?

But then I started pondering that RMS has managed quite a feat in his
upcoming visit to Argentina, getting both groups to play along sort-of
together, I thought we might use this very opportunity to establish a
truce in Argentina.

Say, rather than an agreement with SOLAR, we could suggest a multi-party
agreement, with both SOLAR and Vía Libre in Argentina, FSFLA and other
FSFes that got involved in the mess, and maybe even Hipatia.

The agreement might be as simple as a commitment to mutual respect and
recognition for each others' relevance, and some wording about
encouraging, supporting and maybe even cooperating in activities that
promote software freedom.

If such an agreement comes about, it might cancel out much of the
resistance that FSFLA encounters in Argentina and Uruguay, and the
scenario may be further opened for cooperation between organizations
that have failed to cooperate because of personal issues between some of
their leaders, and we accomplish that remaining neutral rather than
taking sides.

If any of the organizations steps back, well, too bad, but it's not us
who rejected an honest attempt at cooperation for our shared goals.

Thoughts?

	“peace agreement” with SOLAR, Vía Libre, FSFs?
	<mailto:team-request en fsfla.org?subject=subscribe>

    Say, rather than an agreement with SOLAR, we could suggest a multi-party
    agreement, with both SOLAR and Vía Libre in Argentina, FSFLA and other
    FSFes that got involved in the mess, and maybe even Hipatia.

    The agreement might be as simple as a commitment to mutual respect and
    recognition for each others' relevance, and some wording about
    encouraging, supporting and maybe even cooperating in activities that
    promote software freedom.

It seems like a good idea to try.  But I suggest trying first for
just SOLAR and FSF-LA.  Trying to convince SOLAR and Via Libre to
bury the hatchet may be too difficult.

When Spanish is written in anger, it tends to leave gaps which normal
speakers can fill in, but I can't.  I expect I would find it very
difficult to read and understand their postings.  So I don't plan to
try to read it on my own.

What grounds did they give for their attack?  Are there any specific
points they made that I should know about in order to understand the
situation?

Please do consider their points to see if any is partly valid
and might suggest an improvement for FSF-LA.