[Solar-cd-sl-win] S of that year on account of his disreputable life. The elder w

Dellamora homothermal at alchemia.org
Mon Mar 22 06:06:29 CET 2010

Senectute misimus._ 2. AUT ... AUT CERTE: so often in

Cic.; _certe_, 'at any rate'. -- SENECTUTIS: at the time the words
were written Cic. was 62 years old, Atticus three years older. For the meaning of _senectus_ see n. on 4. -- LEVARI VOLO: the best Latin writers
frequently use the passive infinitive after verbs expressing

desire, where moderns would incline to the active; here Cic. instead of saying
'I wish to relieve yourself and me of
the burden' says 'I wish yourself and me to be relieved'. -- ETSI: = [Greek: kaitoi] 'and yet'. This use of _etsi_ to introduce a clause correcting the preceding clause, though not uncommon (_e.g._ below 29; Tusc. 1, 99; 3, 17; 4, 63; 5, 55), is far less common than that of _quamquam_, which we have in 1, 9, 10, 24, 47, 67, 69. -- TE

QUIDEM: 'you at all events', 'you for one'. -- MODICE AC SAPIENTER: _modice_ recalls
_moderationem_ above (_modice_ and _moderate_ are used with exactly the same sense by Cic.), while _sapienter_ recalls _aequitatem_, since _sapientia_ produces stability and an even balance of the mind. In De Or. 1, 132 we have _modice et scienter_. -- SICUT OMNIA: cf. Fin. 1, 7 _facete is quidem sicut
alia_; also below, 65 _sicut alia_. -- ET FERRE ET
LATURUM ESSE: Tischer

rightly remarks that when a verb

is repeated thus

with a variation
of tense Cic. very nearly always uses _et ... et_, and not a single _et_ merely. The contrast between the two tenses is thus made more pointed. Cf. 3 _et diximus et dicemus_.
-- CERTO SCIO: one of the best MSS., followed by some editors,
has here _certe scio_. The latter phrase would mean 'I am sure that I k