[Solar-cd-sl-win] Hat peace-lovers are no patriots; that imperialism demands the possible sacrifice of

Hepp radiolucent at vaat.org
Sun Mar 21 03:39:38 CET 2010

Hall find a general consensus of opinion that war on a large
scale was impossible because too ruinous, that the very
size of the European armaments made war impracticable. Or else,
to take the extreme case of Mr. Norman Angell, the entanglements of modern finance were said to have put war out of count as an absurdity. We were a little too hasty in our judgments.
It is clear that a single determined man, if he is powerful enough, may embroil Europe. However destructive modern armaments may be, and however costly a campaign may prove, yet there are men who will face the cost and confront the wholesale destruction

of life that modern warfare entails. How pitiful it is, how strange also, to look back upon the solemn asseveration of the Kaiser and the Tsar, not so many months ago (Port Baltic, July
1912), that the division of Europe into the two great confederations
known as the Triple Alliance and the Triple Entente provided a safeguard

against hostilities! We were
constantly assured that diplomats were working for a Balance of Power, such
an equilibrium of rival
forces that the total result would be stability and peace. Arbitration, too, was considered by many as the panacea, to say nothing of the Hague Palace of Peace. And now we discover that nations may possibly refer to arbitration po