[Solar-cd-sl-win] native's head with a broadsword, and with a pistol fir

Isiminger acetometer at pieterjan.com
Tue Dec 29 03:04:33 CET 2009

Er, when Hawaii Ponoi, the National Anthem, was sung, and we lay upon
the sands and watched the long white coverlet of foam folding towards
the shore, and saw visions and dreamed dreams. But at times we also
breathed a prayer--a prayer that somebody or something would come and
carry off Van Blaricom, whose satire, born and nurtured in Chicago, was
ever turned against Hawaii and all that therein was. There are times
when I think I had a taste of Paradise in Hawaii--but a Paradise not
without a Satanic intruder in the shape of that person from Illinois.
Nothing escaped his scorn. One day we saw from Diamond Head three
water-spouts careering to the south, a splendid procession of the powers
of the air. He straightway said to Kalakua, that "a Michigan cyclone had
more git-up-and-git about it than them three black cats with their tails
in the water." He spent hours in thinking out rudely caustic things to
repeat about this little kingdom. He said that the Government was a
Corliss-engine running a sewing machine. He used to ask the Commander of
the Forces when the Household Cavalry were going into summer camp--they
were twelve. The only thing that appeared to impress him seriously was
Molokai, the desolate island where the lepers made their cheerless
prison-home. But the reason for his gravity appeared when he said to
Blithelygo and myself: "There'd be a fortune in that menagerie if it was
anchored in Lake Michigan." On that occasion he was answered in strong
terms. It was the only time I ever heard Blithelygo use profanity. But
the American merely dusted his patent leather shoes with a gay silk
kerchief, adjusted his clothes on his five-foot frame as he stood up;
and said: "Say you ought to hear my partner i