[Solar-cd-sl-win] {Spam?} f men, as th

Voiles charring at vvelease.nl
Sun Dec 27 22:25:00 CET 2009

Ay hereafter do you any acceptable service, give me leave to found an
abbey after my own mind and fancy." The motion pleased Gargantua very
well; who thereupon offered him all the country of Thelema by the river
Loire, till within two leagues of the great forest of Port-Huaut. The
monk then requested Gargantua to institute his religious order contrary
to all others. [Footnote 15: From Book I of "The Inestimable Life of the
Great Gargantua, Father of Pantagruel." The Urquhart-Motteux
translation.] "First, then," said Gargantua, "you must not build a wall
about your convent, for all other abbeys are strongly walled and mured
about." Moreover, seeing there are certain convents in the world whereof
the custom is, if any women come in--I mean honorable and honest
women--they immediately sweep the ground which they have trod upon;
therefore was it ordained that if any man or woman, entered into
religious orders, should by chance come within this new abbey, all the
rooms should be thoroughly washed and cleansed through which they had
passed. And because in other monasteries all is compassed, limited, and
regulated by hours, it was decreed that in this new structure there
should, be neither clock nor dial, but that according to the
opportunities, and incident occasions, all their works should be
disposed of; "for," said Gargantua, "the greatest loss of time that I
know is to count the hours. What good comes of it? Nor can there be any
greater folly in the world than for one to guide and direct his courses
by the sound of a bell, and not by his own judgment and discretion."
_Item_, Because at that time they put no women into nunneries but such
as were either one-eye