[P2P-F] Fwd: New deadline for proposals: 20 June 2019, and other important information: International conference "Social Solidarity Economy & the Commons: Contributions to the Deepening of Democracy", 6-8 November 2019, ISCTE-IUL, Lisbon, Portugal

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri May 31 18:06:01 CEST 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Ana Margarida Esteves <anamargarida.esteves at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, May 31, 2019 at 3:13 PM
Subject: New deadline for proposals: 20 June 2019, and other important
information: International conference "Social Solidarity Economy & the
Commons: Contributions to the Deepening of Democracy", 6-8 November 2019,
ISCTE-IUL, Lisbon, Portugal

Dear colleagues,

We have been contacted by several potential participants who asked for an
extension of the deadline for the receipt of proposals, so that they can
have time to fully develop their proposal while fulfilling other
professional and activist commitments.

In order to honor these requests, we decided to extend the deadline to June
20.

In order to make the conference more dynamic in terms of interactions
between participants and the production of outputs, as well as fasten the
dissemination of conference results at the highest level of quality and
impact, we decided to introduce two innovations:

1) To offer, in parallel to traditional paper sessions, between five and
six "Research Derby" sessions in which participants are invited to pool
their proposals into a collective article draft. The topic of the "Research
Derby" sessions will be in line with the five thematic areas proposed for
the conference. Each session will be coordinated by about two senior
scholars or practitioners, who will guide the participants through the
discussions and the drafting process. The drafts will be finished after the
conference by the participants in each session, who will be credited as
co-authors.

The organising committee will gather these drafts into a special issue
proposal, to be sent to a journal in the Q1 or Q2 quarters of SCOPUS.

 The concept of the "Research Derby" was developed in the following article:

Brett Favaro, Douglas C Braun, and Earth2Ocean Research Derby. “The
‘Research Derby’: A Pressure Cooker for Creative and Collaborative
Science.” Ideas in Ecology and Evolution, no. 1 (2013).

Abstract: Ecology and evolution research benefits when scientists engage in
meaningful collaborations. However, making time for such efforts is
difficult, particularly for early-career graduate students* who are often
focused on an independent and self-driven research program. Here, we
introduce the concept of the Research Derby, a collaborative and
semi-competitive workshop where teams are given 24 hours to complete a
research project. This ‘pressure-cooker’ environment is designed to give
scientists a fun and short-term opportunity to conduct research outside
their primary field, promote skills exchange within the research group, and
ultimately produce high-quality scientific publications. In this manuscript
we outline the goals of the Research Derby, explain how to set up such an
event, and recount our experiences running a Derby within our research
group at Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B.C., Canada. We argue that
Research Derbies have the potential to achieve creative and collaborative
high-impact science, and are a fun and productive research activity.

*Note: In order to increase the diversity of perspectives and output, we
also encourage the participation of mid-career scholars and practitioners.

2) To offer thematic interactive poster sessions, in which participants
will be encouraged to interact with the authors and discuss ideas for the
further development of research projects, as well as future collaborations.

*We ask prospective participants to indicate, in their proposals, in they
wish to be considered for either the "Research Derby" sessions or the
poster sessions. *

*Those who have already submitted a proposal do not need to re-send it. We
just kindly ask you to send an e-mail to ssecommons.cei at iscte-iul.pt
<ssecommons.cei at iscte-iul.pt> indicating if you would like your proposal to
be considered to a "Research Derby" or a poster session, or if you prefer
to be included in a classical academic paper session. *

We are also happy to send you a list of confirmed Keynote speakers and
members of the Scientific Committee of the conference, which you may find
in annex.

Kinds regards,

Ana Margarida Esteves

Kind regards,