[P2P-F] Fwd: From Rajani: On Alienation: : A Non-Eurocentric View

Denis Postle denis.postle at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 17:15:06 CEST 2018

/Nature./

We are , /contra /the shibboleths of Biblical ideology, part of
nature,/i.e/ ., we are /animals/

Even  the radical Marx, echoing his own  Judeo-Christian  heritage,
  spoke of “Man’  proudly as the ‘sovereign of creation”.

He hadn’t  studied  Darwin (Darwin’s classic work  was published, late:
  the same year as  one of Marx’s classic works: 1859).

/At any rate, we are part of nature/: and when we are kept away from
it/,  as we are, more or less,  in all EM societies,/ in arid cityscapes
of cement and steel, our ‘spirits sag’  (all but unconsciously) and we
experience an ineffable  distress (poetically depicted  in Keats’ To One
Who Has Been Long in City Pent’ verse) .

Presumably parks exist , here and there, in cities, to alleviate that
disorder.

A very  welcome offer Ranjani, I'd like to add to, even extend what you
suggest. And I look forward to any comments that may arise.

For reasons of experiences that I will pass over here, I have come to
understand that the 'alienation' of people from Nature and of
Civilisation from Nature is a profoundly damaging category error.

Swallows build nests on the walls outside this room, beavers build dams,
hornets created a kind of skyscraper in a room above my head...
'nature'. People create washbasins, airliners, cities, railways homes
and offices.... also 'nature'. /It is all nature/. From a planetary
perspective there is nothing that isn't nature.

I have struggled to find a way of describing this integration, what
might bridge nature-and-civilisation? A colleague suggested
'wilderness', and as I have dug deeper into this I have come to
understand economics, families, bodies politics and civilisations as
myriad interconnected wildernesses. If this seems a bit off the page,
think of wilderness as a vernacular way of talking about systems theory,
complexity theory etc. and if it still seems off the page, take a look
at part 2 of my recent video Messages From The Blue Planet
<https://vimeo.com/257467422> that seeks to open this up as a non
linear, affective, imaginal take on where we are with ourselves on this
planet; and that might, though it's very late, go some way to heal the
alienation you speak about.

Again, thanks for opening up this topic.

Denis