[P2P-F] [NetworkedLabour] Algorithms of the next political-economy from local to global

Anna Harris anna at shsh.co.uk
Sun Feb 15 15:41:16 CET 2015

It is interesting to see the link between Sensorica as presented by Tiberius, and the article sent in by Francine Maestrum. As I understand it, Sensorica allows people to claim all the value they contribute, including adjustments for reputation, through a value equation, endorsed by all participants. Very appealing for those who have something to contribute, and offers an alternative to the capitalist economy which thrives on extracting surplus value.

Francine is wanting to provide for those who for whatever reason can't contribute as part of that innovative model of production. And perhaps we should ask - shouldn't that be part of the model? What happens in Sensorica when there is sickness or accidents? Child care? Elderly relatives? Need a holiday? Those with disabilities? Perhaps this was mentioned and I missed it. 'Fairness' is not as simple as an algorithm which rewards on the basis of contribution. Some may benefit If they remain fit and well. But it seems pretty precarious if there is no support to fall back on when they are not.

Calling something a commons doesn't just mean that something is available to all, it also means making sure that people have the ability to take advantage of that availability. In this new society we have to find a way to care for each other to ensure that we don't just reproduce a system which enables some to prosper, while others suffer.

Anna