[P2P-F] Fwd: [NetworkedLabour] Fwd: Swedish company implanting workers with microchips

Sat Feb 7 10:32:04 CET 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sid Shniad <shniad at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 2:05 PM
Subject: Swedish company implanting workers with microchips

* http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/swedish-company-offers-employees-implantable-chips-article-1.2104851
<http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/swedish-company-offers-employees-implantable-chips-article-1.2104851>New
York Daily News       February 5, 2015Swedish company implanting workers
with microchipsThe mini-devices can open doors, unlock the photocopier and
share contact details. It's the way of the future, experts say.By Meredith
Engel  *

Work is really getting under some workers’ skin.

At the Epicenter complex in Stockholm, Sweden, office drones are becoming
droids by inserting dog-style microchips to unlock doors, operate photo
copiers or share contact info.

It’s the latest example of a trend that is also emerging in the medical
profession.

"We call it augmented humanity," said tech trends expert Faith Popcorn,
author of “Dictionary of the Future.” “We foresee a future in which
everyone will have an implanted chip that will benefit our personal lives
as well.”

Designed by the Swedish Biohacking Group, the radio-wave-emitting chip is
the size of a grain of rice and similar to transmitters implanted into pets.

TODAYNBC reporter Keir Simmons has a microchip implanted under his skin.

Epicenter's 700 tenants can get the implant, done by a professional tattoo
artist wielding a thick needle. A Stockholm tattoo parlor has even hosted
chip-insertion parties for employees.

Swedish entrepreneur Hannes Sjoblad, who started the “biohacking” industry
in his homeland, thinks it's only a matter of time before people use chips
to ride public transportation, pay for groceries and track fitness.

Popcorn thinks it will go even further.

“You'll be able to download Mandarin into your embedded chip before your
business meeting in Shanghai,” she said.

But when he tried to open a door with his bionic hand, the chip didn’t work.

There are still some bugs in this new technology.

When the “Today” show tested the chip in Sweden on Thursday, reporter Keir
Simmons’ chip didn’t work.

His joke might be apt. Some experts think subdermal implants will only ramp
up our addiction to technology.

"We've already gotten too overwhelmed with technology and if it's now a
part of you, that's going to make you more obsessed with it," said Dr.
Larry Rosen, a technology expert at California State University Dominguez
Hills.

mengel at nydailynews.com

Check out the Commons Transition Plan here at:
http://en.wiki.floksociety.org/w/Research_Plan

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/