[P2P-F] [P2P-es] P2P dual language - en dos idiomas

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Jul 22 10:30:49 CEST 2014

dear Orsan,

I don't disagree with your characterisation of the rifkin/stieglitz
positioning, but I have perhaps a different view on 'class' or social
alliances,

certainly in the west, there is a clear process of the dwindling of the
industrial working class (between 17 and 23% of the european working
population); a clear de-proletarisation (both through access to means of
production, and through non-salaried precarisation) but the growth of a
networked knowledge-based working class ...but this class is multi-layered
and very flexible in its social conditions: it can be salaried one day,
freelancing the other, in start-up mode, etc .. a substantial minority of
this 'class' is both allied to commonsproducing communities and
enterpreneurial ..

so to be clear: if traditional labour is dwindling, the whole classic
debate about class alliances led by the working class become very
problematic .. and: if the precarious knowledge labour class is facing
changeable social conditions which include enterpreneurialism, then a
hostility to it is equally problematic

so my approach is to look for a broad coalition, not for a violent social
transformation, but for the creation of commons-friendly state and private
structures, that allow for a deep autonomisation of civil society and
ethical enterpreneurship

the coalition I propose entails: the precarious knowledge workers, and
their digital culture political expressions (pirates, platform parties,
digital commons orientation); what remains of the govt'al and industrial
working class (the new transformative left parties like syriza, podemos,
i..e. industrial commons); the greens (older knowledge working class,
natural commons orientation), and the progressive enterpreneurial forces
(alternativet).

I do not call for a class alliance with elite forces (as hardt and negri
suggested we do), nor with radical right forces who are also against big
government and big banks (the nader approach), but I do call for an
alliance with those that want to reform the market dynamics.

In this sense, I don't see rifkin/stieglitz with a vision of a half empty
glass, but as half-full, as individuals who, despite their elite
affiliations, represent steps in the right direction. We are not talking
here about alliances with right wing parties, we are talking about a
critical but positive interpretation of what their emergence means.

when you mention kautsky and lenin ... do you know that kautsky and the SD
members voted against the war, but they were over-ruled by the trade union
faction of their party

so I suggest a third position, that of rosa luxemburg, who strongly warned
lenin against relying on only one governance form, that of the soviets, and
suggested keeping the parliament and representative institutions as a
counterweight ..

lenin ended up outlawing all political forces but his own, preparing the
emergence of Stalinism .. was he really right ?

of course we can be critical of rifkin/stieglizt and stress their
insufficiencies, but that doesn't mean that at this stage, it is useful or
productive to seem them as enemies ; in my understanding, they both support
democratisation of politics and the ethicalisation of economics, goals
which are in alignment with my own goals ..

I'm in favour to combine a radical agenda of structural transformation,
with an ongoing co-constructive and meliorist politics based on pragmatic
alliances around common goals,

that doesn't mean working with everyone, you will notice that I don't even
mention social-democrats nor the right parties in my proposal for a
coalition of the commons

I'm recently thinking about how to conceive of class alliance parties, like
the christian democrats .. (I know they are very right wing in the
netherlands, but not so in belgium, where they have progressive wings) ...
the reason is that social-catholic movements are reacting very positively
to p2p ideas

Michel

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/