[P2P-F] an evaluation of the flok as colonialist

Andreas Wittel andreas.wittel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 03:30:38 CEST 2014

Dear Michel,

pls find my responses in between your reply.

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 9:49 PM, Michel Bauwens <michel at p2pfoundation.net>
wrote:

> dear Andreas,
>
> nobody has made that critique, on the contrary, about every postmodern
> scholar has made it ..

When I said that this critique has not been made I was obviously referring
to the thread of this list and not to post-modern literature. Of course
this critique bas been made excessively by post-modern scholars. I am very
far from post-modernist thinking, but I have never come across any
literature that dismisses this argument as superficial, as you do here.
Maybe you can elaborate?

> it is in my opinion a quite superficial critique ..
>
> the flok was not about a bunch of foreign experts advising people what to
> do at all
>
> it was a process that combined input from local civic groups (70 at least,
> 24 seminars ect ..) and global commoners

hm, this is not how flok has been introduced originally on various
platforms. All the hype was about the p2p foundation being asked by the
Ecuadorian government to develop a plan for a transition of Ecuador's
society and economy towards p2p structures. It is a bit pointless to change
the story now. So my comments refer to the reading of these first
announcements.

> at the invitation of the local government, which sees itself as
> anti-colonialist

It doesn't matter much how the government sees itself, when it does not
have the trust of the people. Isn't this an obvious point?

> originally the project was meant to combine 7 foreigners and 7 local
> researchers ..
>
> the foreigners in case were not experts dispatched by MNO's  but activists
>
> if calling a coworking between local and global commoners as 'colonialist'
> then the only other solution is pure  localism

I have not used the term colonial but post-colonial. There is a huge
difference between these two concepts.
Again, what is now presented as co-working and dialogical has earlier been
presented in much more ambitious terms as helping to create a better
Ecuadorian society.

> there was ndio research from outsiders of indigenous society ... the
> indigenous scholars wrote their own paper

I have not suggested that this was research on indigenous people. I have
pointed out that it is naive and arrogant for researchers in the west to
fly in a country they don't know very well with a very high percentage of
indigenous people to advice them on buen conocer. Isn't it rather ironic
that westerners advice a country with a strong indigenous population on how
to do the sharing economy?

> that is not to say the flok can not be critiqued for colonialist or
> post-colonial elements, but this requires a bit more than just blanket
> condemnation because foreigners are involved,

Again you are misreading what I said. I was not talking about foreigners,
but about western research in and advice for non-western  spaces.

> it's a kind of atavistic reaction, not a critique I would say, based on a
> very superficial understanding of the project

You are right that I don't have a detailed understanding of the flok
project. For this reason I hesitated to comment in the first place. I would
have kept my mouth shut had I not been worried about the evaluation of flok
on  this thread. It is less the failed project itself that makes me nervous
than a certain refusal to question its political and moral integrity. I
detect lots of enthusiasm to try this again, but better. And lots of
blaming individuals involved with bad intentions. However I don't see much
humble reflexivity and self-critique.

While I don't have any intimate knowledge of flok I do know a thing or two
about ethnographic research, and I am convinced that these things can be
applied to flok and its evaluation.
The first thing I know is that it is important to think about research in
relation to power. Usually it is a bad idea if the invite to do research or
consultancy comes from those who are in power (e.g. the government).
The second thing I know is that it is highly problematic to speak for
others and to tell people in environments unfamiliar to the researcher how
to improve things.

Michel, I don't doubt your good intentions for a minute. But good
intentions cannot replace the more fundamental questions I am raising. As I
said I find it quite worrying that nobody else on this list has raised
them. You don't do the p2p-foundation a favour if you dismiss them as an
atavistic reaction.

best,
andreas