[P2P-F] Fw: BFI + DSI Present "Design for 100%" October 7th, 2013

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 11 12:11:22 CEST 2013

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: The Buckminster Fuller Institute <contact at bfi.org>
To: Searle88 <dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, 10 September 2013, 22:34
Subject: BFI + DSI Present "Design for 100%" October 7th, 2013

ANNOUNCING OCTOBER 7TH DESIGN FOR 100% SYMPOSIA  If you are having trouble viewing this email, click here.

**For Immediate Release**
contact: Sharifah Taqi
tel: 718 290 9283
email: challenge at bfi.org
challenge.bfi.org

Buckminster Fuller Institute and Design for Social Innovation at SVA
Present Design for 100% — a Marfa Dialogues/NY Event

The Buckminster Fuller Institute Joins More Than 30 Leading Cultural, Academic and Advocacy Organizations
Involved in Interdisciplinary Project to "Spark a Citywide Conversation about Climate Change"

September 10th, 2013, New York City - The Buckminster Fuller Institute (BFI) is proud to announce the Design for 100% symposia as part of Marfa Dialogues/NY. Join the 2013 Buckminster Fuller Challenge Jurors Jason McLennan (International Living Future Institute), Andrew
Revkin (NY Times, Pace University), Woody Tasch (Slow Money), and Linda Weintraub (Eco Art Writer and Practitioner) in this unprecedented opportunity to hear from some of the world's leading systems thinkers and designers about their insights into holistic strategies to address critical global issues such as Climate Change.

Design for 100% is hosted by Design for Social Innovation at SVA on October 7th, 2013 from 6:00 - 7:30 pm EST at the Beatrice Theatre, 333 West 23rd Street in New York City.

The panelists will have spent the day selecting the winner of socially responsible design's highest award, The Buckminster Fuller Challenge. The Challenge was created specifically to advance Fuller's famous call to the world's most inventive and creative young people to "make the world work for 100% of humanity..."

"How do we accomplish this in the face of epochal, systemic global crises like Climate Change? What are the opportunities and challenges for translating breakthrough creative vision into tangible solutions? These are the questions our panel will be grappling with — and we are thrilled to be sharing this important conversation as an associate partner of the fantastic city-wide Marfa Dialogues/NY events." said Elizabeth Thompson, Executive Director of the Buckminster Fuller Institute.

Marfa Dialogues/NY is a two-month calendar of events featuring a mix of environmental panels, live theatre, major art exhibitions, installations, community forums, musical performances and more — including the 2013 Buckminster Fuller Challenge Conferring Ceremony at Cooper Union on November 20th, where BFI will be awarding the 2013 winner with the annual $100,000 prize.

"Our goal in supporting Marfa Dialogues/NY is to connect and amplify the voices in this city-wide conversation as people engage the issue of climate change through a cultural lens," said Christy MacLear, Executive Director of The Rauschenberg Foundation. "Through Marfa Dialogues/NY we are not only carrying on Bob Rauschenberg's commitment to the environment but also extending the discussion about climate change into new communities and inspiring innovative responses to this critically important issue."

Due to limited space, please rsvp HERE.

The Buckminster Fuller Institute is dedicated to accelerating the development and deployment of solutions which radically advance human well-being and the health of our planet’s ecosystems. Our programs combine unique insight into global trends and local needs with a comprehensive approach to design. We encourage participants to conceive and apply transformative strategies based on a crucial synthesis of whole systems thinking, Nature's fundamental principles, and an ethically driven worldview. By facilitating convergence across the disciplines of art, science, design and technology, our work extends the profoundly relevant legacy of R. Buckminster Fuller. In this way, we strive to catalyze the collective
intelligence required to fully address the unprecedented challenges before us. The Buckminster Fuller Challenge annually awards a prize of $100,000 to support the development and implementation of a design strategy that has significant potential to solve humanity's most pressing problems. Recognized as Socially-Responsible Design's Highest Award, it attracts bold, visionary, tangible initiatives focused on a well-defined need of critical importance. For more information about BFI and our programs, visit www.bfi.org and challenge.bfi.org. For more information, visit www.challenge.bfi.org

Design for Social Innovation at the School of Visual Arts is the first MFA program for leaders who will use the power of design to solve human and business problems. Through experience-based learning, students from diverse backgrounds are immersed in the context, tools and skills of design for social innovation, fostering transformation at a systems level to create a resilient future for organizations and communities. Learn more at dsi.sva.edu.

Marfa Dialogues / NY is an examination of climate change science, environmental activism and artistic practice happening this October and November 2013 in New York City. A collaboration between the Robert Rauschenberg Foundation, Ballroom Marfa and the Public Concern Foundation, Marfa Dialogues / NY will feature 18 Program Partners and a spectrum of exhibitions, performance, and interdisciplinary discussions at the intersection of the arts and climate change. For the most current calendar of Marfa Dialogues/NY events and additional information about partners and programs, visit http://bfi.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=529103&qid=2880911.

  This email is sent from: The Buckminster Fuller Institute
181 N11th St, Suite 402
Brooklyn, NY 11211
United States
| p 718 290 9280 | f 718 290 9281 | bfi.org | contact
To unsubscribe from this newsletter, click here. To never receive email from The Buckminster Fuller Institute, click here.