[P2P-F] Spirituality and the internet

Poor Richard poor.ricardo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 22:15:44 CEST 2011

Michel I know you don't have time to read much less respond to my chatter...

On Monday, September 12, 2011 1:00:16 AM UTC-5, Michel Bauwens wrote:

> I find the Lilly diagram VERY VERY useful, many thanks, it clearly maps out
> possible differences in giving value to such experiences ...
>
> However, I'm agnostic on them, because whatever their ontological status,
> they are 'real' experiences and have 'real' meaning. So for the the correct
> consequence is: 1) acknowledging the experience (eye of spirit); 2)
> discussing their meaning intersubjectively (eye of mind); 3) assessing their
> ontological status (eye of matter, the 3 mind theory of Lilly).

Yeh that sounds pretty sensible.

> I would love to read Luminarium,
> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/04/books/review/luminarium-by-alex-shakar-book-review.html,
> which directly investigates those issues ...

I'll check out the review.

> ha John Lilly (big bouts of nostalgia) ... yes, Richard that really shows
> (y)our age <g>
>
> for the  young amongst us: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Lilly ...
> can't remember who that was, but I once hadd long conversations with a man
> who had been Lilly's librarian for years ...

I'd love to hear more about that some time.

Now I can't help reminiscing a little about the time with the Lillys at
Feathered Pipe Ranch in Montana. I was 19 or 20 maybe. In spare time I
studied Tai Chi and Feldenkreis exercises for the first time, with teachers
who were there. The big thing of course was the sensory deprivation tank. My
first stint was after dark. Leaving the outbuilding that held the tank, the
starry, starry night was incredible. It was pretty chilly but I lay down on
the ground and gazed at the stars. Then I had one of the most amazing
natural head trips of my life. I found I was able to instantiate multiple
recursive "selfs". To oversimplify, I could see myself seeing myself seeing
myself, etc. My head was never the same after that. But FYI, that time of
witnessing my mind the way I would watch a wild animal in the woods,
watching without motion, emotion, or thought-- I would not personally call
that the eye of the spirit. I might call it core consciousness or something
like that.

Later the Feldenkreis teacher said I was too relaxed. She said, "You aren't
supposed to be that relaxed, kid."

Far out, huh?

PR