[P2P-F] MMT/FEASTA...

ideasinc at ee.net ideasinc at ee.net
Sat Sep 10 16:11:12 CEST 2011

Michael, this reply is more specific to your recollection of the MMT
presentation/Q&A in Dublin.

> however, I came out less than enthusiastic ..
>
> the reason is the following, one of the ladies who gave the lecture,
> gave an
> intro with the main principles of MMT, and one of the rules sounds really
> simplistic supply-side to me

Michael, what your impression and description of what you were told does
seem like a repackaging of supply side economics, and the crux is in the
details. It was in my opinion that what was described is actually the same
economistic thinking that attempts to validate what is known as the
"Laffer Curve." And then there is a caveat/disclaimer. A lot of the pseudo
MMT stuff is wrapped around a very specific and neo-classical re-visionism
that was applied to J. M. Keynes's body of works. J.M.K. evolved his own
thinking and insights relative to economics over his life span. He started
out as a neo-classical economist with an usually high sense of social
integrity and responsibility, as evidenced early with his "Economic
Consequences Of The Peace." The group of economists who identify
themselves as post-Keynesians, which includes the MMT people begin from
the position and theory developed in Keynes's later work.

It is also very true that Keynes's legacy has been abused by the familiar
neo-classical ..."savants," Specifically Milton Friedman as a transition
ploy to corrupt Keynes theoretical contributions to serve otherwise
contrary interests. At the time the public reputation of Keynes was very
high post WWII, the politicals generally avoided Keynes's proposals. Joan
Robinson a former associate and collaborator has described with strong
authority that this ploy should be described as "bastard Keynesianism."

Taxation within the MMT/Functional Fiscal finance at the sovereign
(Federal) level is a way to control the concentration of wealth, and
through the accelerating lobbying efforts a progress tax code has been
replaced with a an entirely regressive application of taxation. Deficit
spending under the bastard Keynesianism (neo-classical economics in
costume) as enabled by the misrepresentation of Keynes used under the
privatization "deficit" spending. Deficit spending when the government is
a sovereign state can be issued entirely debt free, much as the US
Continentals and the US Greenbacks were used. Taking back the sovereign
power to issue currency does not even need legislative approval, just the
information and the political integrity to decline massive levels of
bribery.

With regard for Keynes's effort to raise the awareness of the demand side
of the economy a tax holiday for the producing classes is a Keynesian/MMT
concept through and through. The generalization that this applies to all
form of taxation is bluntly ignorant. The MMT/Post-Keynesians also more
importantly advocate for countercyclical intervention in the creation of
basic living wage jobs. The same set of assumptions, ie legitimate
MMT/FF/Minsky et al, can be also applied to define "social
infrastructure," such as education and health care as extensions of the
commons.

Yes, to the extent that taxation could reduce spendable income by
individuals, yes that could cause the economy to slow down further.
Corporations and particularly banking corporations currently don't have
that constraint at all currently through the episodes of "Quantitative
Easing" (Neo Classical wizardry of the golden oz.) hiring in response to
demand will just not happen. So this part is just backwards at best, and
worse simply illiterate even by intention.

Taxation under a Georgist application of economics as a commons state and
local taxes are levied under some recognition of the source of the value
of infrastructure which is tha basis of community centered economics.
Taxation upon idle and potential assets re-directs to not tax personal
property by personal use. Taxation in this fashion can reduce the blight
of land speculation based upon valuation being based upon the structure,
contrary to the potential contribution to the community economy.

enough for now, Tadit