[P2P-F] FW: Blogpost: Applying the ICT Lessons of Revolt to the Institutional Challenges of Reconstruction: They overthrew Hosni Mubarek, Now Can They Overthrow Robert Michels?

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 13:14:14 CET 2011

Hi Michel, Pedro and everyone,

I really don't want to launch into an on-going discussion of epistemologies
here but I think that much of sociology and sociological (read network in
this instance) analysis (now) suffers from precisely the same sets of issues
as those of classical economics i.e. that once one accepts certain
assumptions everything else flows forward with a smooth consistency until
the system confronts reality and then the whole thing is demonstrated as
being the ideological mind game that it is...

The necessary process of reconstruction has to begin either from a
philosophical or a practical critique of those assumptions (the best
situation is when both are done at the same time)...

Accepting these "approaches" as "theoretical insights" is I think rather in
the form of choosing a particularly insightful monetarist theory to explain
and thus provide a strategy in response to the recent/current financial
crisis--the problem isn't in the theory but in the assumptions (and thus the
overall conceptual structure) on which it is based.

So, to my mind looking for insights useful to for example the p2p project in
network analysis leads inevitably to the profoundly disempowering, cynical
and ultimately ideological and wrong headed (and misdirectional) analysis
that Zeynab's "analysis" presents.