[P2P-F] [P2P-URBANISM WA] Any of you use map layering for p2p urbanism open collab

MIGUEL ALOYSIO SATTLER masattler at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 19:41:26 CET 2011

*Michel,*

Thanks for establishing this link with Franz.

*Franz,*

Thank you for your interest on the work we have developing and also for
sending me the link for the slideshare with the speech by Phil Turner / Pam
Moore. I was not aware of this European initiative and also found it very
interesting.

I will try to sumarize some of the activities we are developing, that are
somehow related to what is beig developed by ASSET members, as I could
understand from the slideshare. I am with the Federal University of Rio
Grande do Sul, at the southmost State of Brazil (having borders with
Argentina and Uruguay). I have been working with several postgraduate
students in this field since 1997. I then organized the First Brazilian
Conference on Sustainable Buildings and Communities (we just had, in 2009,
the Fifth Brazilian and Third Latin American issue of this Conference. For
the First Conference I invited Steve Curwell, from Salford University, UK,
as a Guest Speaker. At that time he was leading a European project called
Bequest, related do Sustainable Cities. I mention him because it was Steve
who made us interested working on this scale.

Lately we have been running short courses related to Sustainable Buildings
and Communities in several regions in Brazil, but also in Uruguay (MSc) and
Paraguay (MSc), mainly as part of MSc and PhD Programs, led by our
PostGraduate Course in Civil Engineering. At the moment I am supervising 7
PhD students, all working in the area that aims at getting more sustainable
cities (four of them are just starting their research at a northeastern
city, in the State of Paraiba, working with a town of nearly 30.000
inhabitants; one student is working in the area of urban metabolism, in
Montevideo (a large city), capital city of Uruguay; and two others are
developing their studies in our State: one in a city of about 13000 and
other with a city of about 7000.

In the city of 13,000, we started working in 2003, with the preliminary
studies for a more sustainable technical school (for about 700 students).
That was demanded by several municipalities sharing the same watershed (of
Rio Caí), that due to their characteristics and potential aimed at atracting
students in some areas of interest of all of them (like agroindustry and
ceramic clay bricks and tiles). The school was built and several MSc
dissertations were developed to monitor the buildings and user´s
satisfaction. Due to this starting project, we established interesting links
with the communities (mostly the one were the school was built -
municipality of Feliz), leading to the start of several new works. Two MSc
studies were already completed: one, evaluating a simplified Ecological
Footprint for the municipality; the other led to sistematization of 108
Alexander´s patterns that were found to be related to sustainable
communities. Presently a PhD student is working with the urban metabolism of
the municipality of Feliz; another with the preservation of water quality
(very high there) and water pollution; one more MSc student is working with
Strategies for Creating Greenways for small municipalities; and one more MSc
student working with construction and demolition residues and strategies for
managing them sustainably. In all initiatives we give a return to the
municipality, that is slowly strengthening our links with their people and
representatives. Other initiatives are constantly under development, either
by Diploma or undergraduate students, mostly focusing in this municipality.

This was a looong sumary, but as you said you had interest on our work, I
tried to give you an appropriate picture of what has been going on here.

Regards,

Miguel Sattler

Prof. Miguel Aloysio Sattler, PhD
Depto. de Engenharia Civil/NORIE