[P2P-F] Fwd: 8 New Essays plus What's Hot in Tikkun's Winter 2011 Issue

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 06:12:28 CET 2011

see in particular: http://p2pfoundation.net/Red-Letter_Christians

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tikkun <miriam at tikkun.org>
Date: Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 9:02 AM
Subject: 8 New Essays plus What's Hot in Tikkun's Winter 2011 Issue
To: Michelsub2004 at gmail.com

            *SUPPORT
TIKKUN*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=fWiOeqfvgKXfgikghaL56pNjwDq6Zhpx>
*GET THE MAGAZINE*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=y3yqSfO%2Fj2m0b1MCMazbPM2EihOQLDoH>
*ADVERTISE<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=GaSK8XSmw1Ez61Zg%2F0SOgs2EihOQLDoH>
* *JOIN THE MOVEMENT*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=x%2BmFXTxhyTtEn%2FFWIkA2mM2EihOQLDoH>
*Tikkun **at 25: 8 New Essays & What's Hot in Our Latest Print Issue
*  We are pleased to share eight new online exclusive articles in this
second edition of our newsletter. If you like what you see here, don’t miss
out on the Winter 2011 issue of the print magazine, which is on newsstands
now. Subscribe now<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=bZwE%2BmvxfJ%2BNcn0Lb0lr65NjwDq6Zhpx>,
or order a single
issue<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Gg9we%2B2krShd25dfWyk755NjwDq6Zhpx>,
or visit your local bookstore now for this beautiful anniversary issue,
which includes a look back at *Tikkun* covers from the past twenty-five
years, fine art, and over fifty articles and poems on healing and
transformation by many of your favorite *Tikkun* authors.

The full table of contents is listed
here<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Wzr3KGk9rYoONpRCPWPze82EihOQLDoH>.
Don’t miss psychiatrist Phil Wolfson’s discussion of how psychedelics can
aid personal transformation and spiritual growth; famed British literary
critic Terry Eagleton’s lively piece on the current vampire mania and the
nature of evil; Rev. Lynice Pinkard’s stirring essay on racism, the violence
of the police force, and the Spirit of life that enables people to work in
solidarity against oppression; Allen D. Kanner on how a small California
town is protecting itself from corporate power and pollution; Ulrich Duchrow
on a European revival of Liberation Theology; Josh Kornbluth’s humor piece;
and more—those articles are waiting for you (online as well as in print)
once you subscribe<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ATktRPYthf0WKmirlIzW382EihOQLDoH>
!    *Tikkun Olam in East Jerusalem*
*by Bradley Burston*

Sheikh Jarrah, East Jerusalem: Every Sabbath a bit of my faith in the future
is restored. And all because an isolated act of tikkun olam has in the
course of time become, without intent or design, an integral part of our
family's Shabbat ritual. *Read More
»*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=8BOnLOEmFcbOmY4XHMBk882EihOQLDoH>

*Tikkun and Red-Letter Christians*
*by **Tony Campolo
*
  [image: Tikkun Magazine Cover]Gandhi once told Rufus Jones, the Quaker
theologian and missionary to India, that Christians were "so unlike" their
Christ. The good news is that there is a growing movement emerging across
America (which goes by the name "Red-Letter Christians") whose members are
endeavoring to respond to Gandhi's criticism by committing themselves to
living out the radical lifestyle that Jesus defined for those who would be
His disciples. *Read More
»*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=8OJHM2UkgLDOjRnRMYGNqs2EihOQLDoH>
*When Love Trumps Right Belief*
* by Mary Albert Darling
*  Each of us has directives we live by. The directive to love is at the
very heart of most faith traditions, along with being the first and foremost
standard to live by for many who do not profess a specific religious belief.
*Read More »<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=98fsTBExPbjtAeuV7zV8x82EihOQLDoH>
*    *Five Lessons from Martin Luther King Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement
*
*by Drew Dellinger*  [image: Image of Dorothy Day]*1. If you want to change
the world, change the worldview.*
To get to the root of our current ecological and social crises, we have to
look at the structures of consciousness -- the stories, myths, narratives,
and paradigms -- that shape the modern world and inhabit our minds. *Read
More »*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=yP1Q1IrmBFES3FoPjir64c2EihOQLDoH>
*Making a Difference*
*by Charles Derber*  [image: Labor Protest Graphic]There are five virtues
that inspire my own best efforts to heal the world and myself:
*1. Connecting Private and Public Problems*
We live in a society that psychologizes everything, a hyper-individualistic
and therapeutic culture.
*Read More »*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=GQQeJsi4UcMNFTBlOVySXc2EihOQLDoH>
*Tikkun Olam Requires the Imagination of Children*
*by Lois Dickason*  [image: Hillel image]The Golden Rule is a moral truth
endorsed by all religions. President Kennedy, in his 1963 anti-segregation
appeal to Americans, said, "The heart of the question is ... whether we are
going to treat our fellow Americans as we want to be treated." Tikkun olam
applies this to all creation. *Read More
»*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=IN06WdB3YVlujGjA9a2g0c2EihOQLDoH>
*The Coming of Grace*
*by Josephine Donovan*  [image: Conceptual graphic of crossroads of]Dietrich
Bonhoeffer, the Protestant theologian executed by the Nazis in 1945, speaks
in his book Ethics (published posthumously in 1949) of an "obligation to
prepare the way for the coming of grace." "There are," he explains,
"conditions of the heart, of life and of the world which impede the
reception of grace."
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=wR9JSnzODTKdklnSztEVgs2EihOQLDoH>
*Read More »<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=BUnl0OniYB3Tt6kP6BNS9c2EihOQLDoH>
*    *Justice, Not Charity *
*by Peter Dreier*  "Do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with God." Those
words from Micah were engraved on the front wall of my family's Reform
Jewish temple in New Jersey. Back in the mid-1960s, when I was in my teens,
the Reform movement -- and my congregation -- put those words into practice.
*Read More »*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ywWE3%2FtIbBkpzBuqOrzu%2Bc2EihOQLDoH>
      [image:
Political Vision and Spiritual Wisdom Header by Lerner]
*
When Generosity, Love, and Kindness are Public Policy, the Violence We Saw
in Arizona Will Dramatically
Diminish*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=NgzLVpS8cYFp%2FDwiOhLj782EihOQLDoH>

*Dazzled by the Dark: Torah Commentary by Mark
Kirschbaum*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=h9rXIryehZ8hwnHcHcG9Zs2EihOQLDoH>

*Spiritual Wisdom of the
Week*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=GHa4V6CURwPoH%2Fze%2BWsdR82EihOQLDoH>

*Recommended from the
Web*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=lN%2BwPS%2FaFfJRwjt0oucHvs2EihOQLDoH>
   [image:
Join Network of Spiritual
Progressives]<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=GHa4V6CURwMMyb0XvCtOZs2EihOQLDoH>
* [image: Tikkun Daily Logo]

A Strong and Demanding Love: Art as a Force for Social
Transformation<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=5jB8cXFwERgcF5n7RYCCfM2EihOQLDoH>
*
by Evan Bissell
*
"Sovereign Citizens": The Right-Wing Hate Group Behind the Attack on
Giffords<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=AzqmlDygWqocGFLy85%2FwH82EihOQLDoH>
*
by Lauren Reichelt

*On Chastened Idealism
*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=PDZwfc%2BGkYIQIZRjaT7qNs2EihOQLDoH>
by Amanda Udis-Kessler

[image: More Blog Posts
Button]<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=2sQF9%2Fdkqi8csMlh0bWl%2BM2EihOQLDoH>
   [image:
Visit Our Online Gallery Header]

*(Click the Picture Below)*

[image: Image from Online
Gallery]<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ckFdyJXhb8AmAi2pOsOQkc2EihOQLDoH>
   [image:
Exclusive Content for Subscribers Header]

*The Nature of Evil*
by Terry Eagleton

*Shasta and Goliath: Bringing Down Corporate Rule*
by Allen D. Kanner

*Intimate Struggles, Global Politics*
by Margie Jacobs

[image: Subscribe to Read These Articles
Button]<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=jMBvFKiP17FePqSetVTnRs2EihOQLDoH>
   [image:
From the Archives Header]

*September/October 1994*

*Black Men and Malcolm's
Memory*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=hmWy3hUI%2BG9MUQAdRUv%2FVc2EihOQLDoH>
by Michael Eric Dyson    [image: Know Someone Who's Interested in this Email
Button]

*Forward it to a
friend.<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2B1zQ40TWfC8lQT01VRROF82EihOQLDoH>
*    [image: Global Marshall Plan Ad]    [image: Visit our Facebook Page
Graphic]<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Pip0peD6ltM6EOuW3k5XVpNjwDq6Zhpx>

    *SUPPORT TIKKUN*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=j4KJroYl5wMvq4Eei2ENVs2EihOQLDoH>
*GET THE MAGAZINE*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=mJldNDL%2F3r6GrOFeCCluds2EihOQLDoH>
*ADVERTISE<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=wgvE287snnD6%2BW4JMXyOWc2EihOQLDoH>
* *JOIN THE MOVEMENT*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2Bp54xffW7ytqMg3xCCOuf82EihOQLDoH>
*2342 Shattuck Avenue, Suite 1200, Berkeley, CA 94704
Phone: 510-644-1200 | Fax: 510-644-1255 | www.tikkun.org<#12d8c8dfbca84064_>
Contact
Us<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=EHvSaD4CN57xdEMl47m8s82EihOQLDoH>|
Intern