[P2P-F] {Filename?} Re: library?

Jay Walljasper jay at jaywalljasper.com
Fri Feb 4 17:02:40 CET 2011

Warning: This message has had one or more attachments removed
Warning: (%2AVL_FG SB.Fran.doc).
Warning: Please read the "ourproject-Attachment-Warning.txt" attachment(s) for more information.

As you understand,  libraries serve us a commons on many levels.  Beyond just access to books that we might not be able to afford they offer internet and other communications access to low income.  And then they also function as public spaces, giving folks a place to hang out and a venue for events and programs.  Many public services are available at libraries.

You might enjoy these stories from the book All That We Share-- here in unedited versions.

On Feb 4, 2011, at 7:43 AM, Mark Petz wrote:

> " Public services like libraries, recreation centers and there for us when we can no longer afford new books, health clubs or another car." line 3 of part 4 of
> Theoretical: Twelve Principles of the Commons
>
> to me all libraries are commons projects. that is the point
>
> yep perhaps vesav orb others with time can expand this sections.
>

> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark, I can't find your reference to that formulation in Jay's book, I only see "44. Patronize and support your public library"
>
> Our wiki has indeed next to nothing on (public or commons) libraries, to I keep the tag http://delicious.com/mbauwens/P2P-Libaries, as I was myself a librarian for 12 years,
>
> We do have http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Intelligence, which is if you like, about 'virtual libraries',
>
> I would welcome more, but am not close to that world anymore,
>
> I have put Vesa in cc, as perhaps he knows of other commons-related library projects,
>
> Michel
>

> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Mark Petz <ravenwyn at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a gaping cavern of a hole in the p2p website.
>
> I was looking at:
>
> http://p2pfoundation.net/Field_Guide_to_the_Commons
>
> and it says libraries when we can no longer afford books - ??!!!!
>
> This seems to me a big misrepresentation - I can afford books, but I think a library is essential as it reduces environmental impact on the planet, I want the expert services of a librarian that can find stuff for me, communal halls where I can meet fellow literati or researchers are valuable. Valuable books that I can leave there and someone else manage the security or limited editions I cannot find and can be stored collectively and better etc. many COMMONS aspects that have nowt to do with money or some kind of seeking alternative from a presumed mainstream culture.
>
> Also I think there should be an actual page on this as the LIBRARY is probably the most familiar commons to people, which is a construct of man that works well.
>
> Now maybe there is another page that has this? I don't know. But to develop more on the library it would be good to ask "Vesa Lehtinen" <akuleh at sci.fi> a qualified librarian here who worked at the Pispala Community Library here in Pispala. Not sure if you met him? Anyhow this is a library that is open to all, and not run through taxation, but one set up by the community here.
>
> markus

> Updates: http://del.icio.us/mbauwens; http://friendfeed.com/mbauwens; http://twitter.com/mbauwens; http://www.facebook.com/mbauwens

Jay Walljasper
*Writer  *Speaker *Storyteller