[P2P-F] education for self-profit ...

Karl Robillard krobillard at san.rr.com
Wed Aug 3 08:37:51 CEST 2011

On Tuesday, August 02, 2011 02:53:08 am Michel Bauwens wrote:
> hi Karl, one remark about open source currencies ... your reasoning applies
> there was well,
>
> for example, indeed Bitcoin is designed to be a scarce, hoarded and
> speculative currency, but other complementary currencies are designed for
> equity, such as Time Dollars,
>
> so neither openness, not peer to peer architectures are by themselves
> sufficient,
>
> I think for those that believe in equity and justice, we need to find the
> right ways to critique hyper-capitalist solutions such as the one regarding
> education,http://miiu.org/wiki/Vesting_students_as_co-owners_of_schools
>
> I'd like to use your remark in the blog as well?
>
> Michel

Everyone is free to repost what I write to this list.  Sharing ideas is why
I'm here.

You were asking for critiques of Open Source Ecology and it occurs to me that
Marcin ignores just what we're talking about, the insufficiency of openness.  He
has no interest in copyleft licensing and the political impulse it provides.

Here's what Wikipedia says about time-based currency:

  "One hour equals one service credit. In these systems, one person volunteers
to work for an hour for another person; thus, they are credited with one hour,
which they can redeem for an hour of service from another volunteer. Critics
charge this would lead to fewer doctors or dentists. Other systems, such as
Ithaca Hours, let doctors and dentists charge more hours per hour."

A dollar is worth whatever people agree on.  An hour of labor is worth
whatever people agree on.  Where's the difference Michel?  An economy run on
opinion and abstract notions of fairness will never be just.  Rather than
pretending that we can measure the unmeasurable (the value of human life) I'd
rather see people focus on more direct methods of bridging intent with
outcome.

-Karl