[Musix-usuarios] mscore-0.5.1 era ---> Microsoft Student Innovation Suite

victor vdaigu en gmail.com
Jue Mayo 17 00:39:14 CEST 2007

Buenas, copio la respuesta pormenorizada y larga que me ha dado amablemente
Michael McIntyre del grupo de rosegarden. Atención al último parrafo

> 1) How to write two or more voices in same staff?. I wan't to write
chords,
> that is diferent. Often for example, in piano music, beams up or down,
> determine the voice. That feaure is common in  harmonies exercices on
> piano's score. Actually that is possible in lilypond and mscore

One voice per segment, segments can overlap, or you can merge segments from
different tracks onto the same staff if exporting to LilyPond.  This isn't
fully functional.  It's especially problematic trying to do multiple voice
parts that have chords.  Chords have to belong to one single voice in order
to be considered chords, instead of members of different voices, so this can
lead to problems.

> 2) is it possible to group with brackets, a group of staff for to have a
> real orchestral  score appearence?.  Actually  that is possible in
lilypond
> and mscore.

Not at this time.

> 3) A good draw of slur, determine a good understanding of score for eyes.
> whould be possible to desing slur like bezier lines? In lilypond and
mscore
> we can ajust slur curve with three points of control. Is not only a
estetic
> question. Slur are  the lines of expression in order of a musical phrase,
> then are very important to have control.

I'd like to see bezier slurs too, but I'm not feeling remotely interested in
taking on the challenge of implementing them.

> 4) How can we to write two lines of lyrics? Many scores use it.

Someone just introduced some new feature that's supposed to make this easier
somehow.  I wasn't following that development.  I'll leave this question
unanswered, because I just don't know.

> 5) In scores's edition is very important the size of bars and lines. how
> can we to break a line of staff, for adjust score to a page or other
> template style?

Not possible at this time.

> I dont know if goal of score part of rosegarden is a real score editor, or
> a MIDI tracks editor. I think they are two ways diferent, but too with
many
> point in common.

I think Rosegarden is trying to be the most serious score editor it can be
while still being a useful MIDI sequencer.  The two are hard to combine.  We
have solved a number of really difficult problems that would have been much
easier to address in a pure notation editor context.

Pure notation editors like Sibelius or Finale work with symbols and glyphs
and
coordinates, and then interpret them into a crude MIDI representation when
you play the parts.  Rosegarden allows quite a robust MIDI reproduction to
coexist with solid notation capabilities, but it does not implement any
number of things that seem to perpetually limit its usefulness to composers.

As a composer and Rosegarden developer, my perspective is one of being
frustrated by our own limitations on the one hand, and feeling utterly
powerless to address any of these issues myself on the other.  I probably
care about these issues more than anyone else here, but I'm the least likely
to do anything about them.  Programming is one of my least favorite ways to
spend my free time.

> adjunt: a easy score with a good edition. whould be possible to create
that
> in rosegarden?

To really make it practical to solve all the problems I perceive with
Rosegarden as a score editor, it would all but require an outright fork.
Then it's a tossup whether it's better to fork Rosegarden into a true
notation editor, or pump the effort into making NoteEdit (whatever NoteEdit
evolved into) or MScore usable, because at last check, neither of them was
any more a solution to the overall problem than Rosegarden.

Unfortunately, the true solution, for the foreseeable future, seems to be to
write in hand-coded LilyPond, or switch to another platform, and use some
high-dollar software.

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Habrá que animar al creador de mscore para que sigua en la línea que
lleva...