[Musix-users] Catch-22 on Musix installation to third HD

Marcos Guglielmetti marcospcmusica at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 00:17:01 CET 2006

El Sáb 04 Nov 2006 02:54, J.M. escribió:
> Hey all:
>
> Thanks for the FTP link the other day, Marcos.  I finally got Musix
> downloaded and burned.  Running from live CD it looks promising, so I'd
> like to get it installed on my 866 MHz 256MB machine.  The computer already
> has 2 hard drives, so I pulled an old 1.18GB from storage; should have just
> barely enough space, right?

You need 1.8gb at leas, but it would be fine to have more than 2.5 at least

> (I can get another one if necessary).  OK, now
> when I try to install Musix using the old-style Knoppix installer (little
> nervous about Kanotix; it crashed on me once already)

Dont worry about those crashes: kanottix installer just configures the
installation and then it uses the knoppix installer too

> I get the system
> requirements error, basically telling me that there's insufficient disk
> space and would I like to repartition.  OK, no problem, I start GParted and
> created on /dev/hdd a swap partition of 150MB (over the required 128MB) and
> a primary EXT2 partition of the remaining space (just over the necessary
> 1GB).  After the machine huffs and puffs through the changes, I return to
> installation... only to receive the same system requirements error.

But... do you have at least one linux partition with more than 2.0 gb of free
space?

> suspect that this has to do with the swap partition being locked by Musix
> itself (the copy running from CD) as in the background terminal it says
> something like "resource error: /dev/hdd2 swapon" just before generating
> that system requirements error.

Maybe: you can disable swap files at boot time with a cheatcode, I think:;

english noswap

will be fine, or

english swapoff

(i dont remember, see cheatcodes.txt)

> Also, if I go back into GParted, I find
> the swap partition locked. I unlock it... and Musix locks it again,
> apparently.  Thus the Catch-22. Musix insists on locking the swap partition
> while it's running, but you can't install Musix without locking it.  I
> don't know if I need to manually run swapoff (what's the syntax for that,
> anyway) before hitting install or use the error override setting or what.
> Any help would be appreciated.  I can't wait to try out Musix.

Do this things, and tell me, cheers

--
Marcos Guglielmetti
* Director del desarrollo de Musix GNU+Linux, 100% Software Libre