[JoPP-Public] News and Issues

Mathieu ONeil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Wed Nov 19 12:14:36 CET 2014

Hi Paz, all

Thanks for your suggestion. My 2.5 cents: my understanding of the journal is that anything that relates to the commons / peer production, understood as a social relation, mode of production, etc where people control what they do, is relevant. Now, one of our stated themes of interest is industry/ecology, and sustainability could certainly be related to that. At the same time the issue you raise - exploitation of resources, toxicity of e-waste - goes far beyond our control, to the heart of the industrial/capitalist system. This issue has been reported on - though not enough - by organisations such as the Basel Action Group. That is important but we would also need to figure out whether people somewhere are extracting their own resources to build stuff/electronics in a safe and sustainable way, in order not just to focus on the negative, but also to highlight alternatives. I am planning to propose an issue on the limits of self-governance, so not ready to take on additional work, but if others want to I would support them.

cheers,

Mathieu