[JoPP-Public] New project (was: JoPP at Open Bidouille Camp)

Mathieu ONeil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Fri Oct 12 20:02:13 CEST 2012

Hi Clément, Franco, all

On 10/12/12, Clement Quinson  <clement.quinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi !
>

> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Mathieu ONeil <mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> > OK, well Clément from Electrolab (cc-ed to this message) is interested in
> > working with us on the hacker / peer production spaces documentation
> > project. I will subscribe him to this list if we proceed (see below).
> Sure :) Haven't seen any emails about that yet, tho.

Well, I wanted to evaluate community interest, and so far, apart from us three, its zero - but you can subscribe in any case - I don't know why I always tell people I will subscribe them; I can't actually do it myself..

> > Clément pointed me to hackerspaces.org which lists hacklabs globally.
> >
> > In the first instance our own project would be a resource documenting best
> > practice, experiences, problems that can be avoided, tips etc by people
> > involved in hacklabs and other peer production spaces. We would need to
> > define a questionnaire and then contact people. If someone has a better idea
> > about how to do this please go ahead, it is still very open at this stage.
> Sounds good.
>
> > From this emerge a number of questions:
> >
> > @Franco: can we set up a new subdomain like surveys.peerproduction.net?

(copying in Franco's message "Of course. We should also define what tool do we want to use in that domain."

I dont know, what is the best way to present a searchable archive of questionnaires?
Since not many people are interested in driving this a self-entering (once authorised) tool could be envisaged? Perhaps too risky, oversight needed?

> > @all (1): we need to define a title. I suggest spaces.peerproduction.net -
> > less restrictive than "hackerspaces" IMO.
> Yes, there is always a question about hackerspace/makerspace/fablab,
> etc... although these are different kind of spaces, I guess what we
> want to do here is above that distinction. Somehow, trying to figure
> out what are the differences is maybe something the questionnaire
> should try to help with...

Thats a great idea - teasing out how actors construct / envisage their conception of their alternative spaces.

> > @all (2): we need (a) contact person(s) to drive this forward. I am happy to
> > help but would prefer it if the responsibility was shared... so, who would
> > like to get involved?
> Well... I'm not really sure I can help by being lead/drive on this, I
> am already way too busy on other topics.
>
> My contribution to this would be to help spread the questionnaire, and
> also, before that, help making it relevant, maybe spread it to few
> contacts I have to check what they have to say about the first
> versions we'll come up with.

Sounds good - I guess we can begin drafting a list of questions.

> Something else: some guy did one or two similar studies some time ago.
> It should be referenced somewhere in hackerspaces.org. It was more
> about the demographics of hackerspaces... might be of interest though.

OK, a precise ref. would be useful, if you have it.

cheers

Mathieu