Last character in visual selection remains unhighlighted

Eric S Fraga e.fraga at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Feb 13 17:44:11 CET 2014

Leo Alekseyev <dnquark at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
> It seems that a lot of the time, visual selection for me is visually off by
> one character.  For example, consider the following line, with the cursor
> at BOL.
>
> (123)
>
> If I issue commands like "vf)", "v%", I end with the closing paren under
> the cursor, but the visual mark will NOT include the closing paren, and
> will only include the first 3 characters, "(123".  Now, it is important to
> note that if I then try to yank the selection, the yanked region is exactly
> what it should be, i.e. it will include the closing paren.  As such, this
> defect for me is purely cosmetic, but a little annoying.  Is this a known
> issue?  Is it possible there is some misconfiguration on my part?

In my case, the highlighted region is like yours, i.e. no closing paren,
but the yanked contents are exactly what is highlighted, i.e. no closing
paren, so the behaviour is at least self-consistent.  I would probably
prefer that the closing paren be included but I'm not too
bothered.  It's been a very long time since I used vi (i.e. before vim
existed ;-) so I have no idea what is expected behaviour.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.1 + Ma Gnus v0.10 + evil 1.0-dev