bug in evil-default-cursor with function value?

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Wed Mar 20 14:53:44 CET 2013

Michael Markert <markert.michael at gmail.com> writes:

> All those states have a `:cursor` spec and that seems to override the
> default as you found:
>
>> Looking at evil-refresh-cursor I see that it ends with
>>
>>         (evil-set-cursor default)
>>         (evil-set-cursor cursor)
>>
>> The second call to evil-set-cursor seems to override the first one,
>> where the value obtained from evil-default-cursor is used.
>
>> I see no easy fix for that, because `default' might contain shape and
>> color, or only one of those, or nil (because evil-default-cursor
>> contains a function that does all the job.)
>
> I think a variable that specifies that state-cursors should not override
> the default cursor would fix it. I don't share your concerns as missing
> values just mean that it won't be changed.

Instead of adding a new variable right away we should consider what's
the current state of affairs. I guess that the original intent of
evil-default-cursor was to provide a base and apply further
customizations (for the cases they are defined) onto it.

IMHO, what is needed is a variable that takes complete responsibility of
cursor setting. Such variable would contain a function. Default value
would be something like evil-refresh-cursor.

Sounds good?