Evil experiences

José A. Romero L. escherdragon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 13:55:32 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga at ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
(...)
> I can't give you specific reasons but my overall impression is similar
> to Timothy's above.  evil is the first vi(m) emulator that doesn't cause
> more problems than it solves!  The problem is I cannot remember why I
(...)

IMHO the biggest hurdle in the case of Vimpulse was not Vimpulse
itself, but Viper. To be sure, Viper is an excellent emulation layer,
but this fact is not apparent until you're a pretty advanced Viper
user and have a .viper file with 200+ lines. It is so versatile that
you may even make it behave like Vim :)

When I moved from Vimpulse to Evil I had to rewrite all that code
(including e.g. stuff like my own input method for authoring XML in
nxml, go figure,) but excepting for that my general impression is
that with Evil you just set it in your .emacs file, and it starts
working as expected right here right now -- no "expert level"
questions, no separate configuration file, no nothing, it just works.

Cheers,
--
José A. Romero L.
escherdragon at gmail.com
"We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals."
(Quarry worker's creed)