Evil experiences

Eric S Fraga e.fraga at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Sep 22 13:37:39 CEST 2011

Michael Markert <markert.michael at googlemail.com> writes:

> On 22 Sep 2011, Timothy Washington wrote:
>
>> Yes, I agree with Tom. I tried viper and vimpulse, but evil is the
>> first emacs / vim plugin that feels natural. Thanks for writing it.
>
> Could you elaborate on this? Why does it feel natural in contrast to
> viper/vimpulse?
>
> I'm still collecting reasons to switch to evil, so information like this
> is quite useful.
>
> Michael

Michael,

I can't give you specific reasons but my overall impression is similar
to Timothy's above.  evil is the first vi(m) emulator that doesn't cause
more problems than it solves!  The problem is I cannot remember why I
gave up on the earlier vi emulators despite trying hard to get used to
them.  It's been a while!

In any case, I only turn on evil mode in text editing buffers, mostly org
mode but also message composition buffers and for coding.  And I have
C-z bound to evil-local-mode in all other modes for easy access.

HTH,
eric
--
Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D)