Evil experiences

Nikolai Weibull now at bitwi.se
Thu Sep 22 14:59:21 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:26, Michael Markert
<markert.michael at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 22 Sep 2011, Timothy Washington wrote:

>> Yes, I agree with Tom. I tried viper and vimpulse, but evil is the
>> first emacs / vim plugin that feels natural. Thanks for writing it.

> Could you elaborate on this? Why does it feel natural in contrast to
> viper/vimpulse?

I’m not Michael, but my feeling is, as others before me have stated,
that Viper tries to hard to shield you from Emacs, while not doing a
good enough job at it.  Evil is a thin veneer over Emacs that provides
all the niceties of Vi without trying too hard to make everything
behave as in Vi.  Most modes that should come up in Evil mode do so
and most modes that shouldn’t don’t.  It’s easy to figure out what
mode you’re in and it’s always easy to get to the mode you want to be
in.  The mode and mapping management is simply better better in Evil
than it is in Viper (with or without Vimpulse).

Perhaps this is more of a feeling than anything else, but having
Emacs, Viper, and Vimpulse fight over what to do with your input was a
pain.  Somehow, Evil manages to work together with Emacs to take care
of your input in the best possible way.

Also, Evil has all its settings set the way I want them by default.
Viper, not so much…