[implementations-list] [IMPORTANT] Setting up a Gmane mirror

Vegard Øye vegard_oye at hotmail.com
Fri May 28 00:00:39 CEST 2010

> Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 21:19:01 +0200
> From: stepnem at gmail.com
>
> At <https://lists.ourproject.org/pipermail/implementations-list/>,
> there are gzipped mbox archives per-month, so it's not that bad -- I
> can just download them all and `cat' them into a single file, but I
> thought I'd ask anyway -- do you have access to a single file
> containing all the archives?

No, I see no such option in the admin pages. :(

> I assume it's rather uncontroversial that we should be something in
> the `gmane.emacs' hierarchy, so the question is about that
> "something". My suggestion is `gmane.emacs.vim-emulation'

I think this is the best suggestion, since the list also talks about
other packages like viper-in-more-modes.el and vim-mode.

> as a side note, the name of this list has always seemed really bad
> to me -- it says nothing about what the list is about; but I guess
> we have to live with that -- and those who might come after us, too.

It can be changed. Here are the relevant fields from the
administrative interface, along with descriptions:

REAL_NAME: implementations-list

    The capitalization of this name can be changed to make it
    presentable in polite company as a proper noun, or to make an
    acronym part all upper case, etc. However, the name will be
    advertised as the email address (e.g., in subscribe confirmation
    notices), so it should not be otherwise altered. (Email addresses
    are not case sensitive, but they are sensitive to almost
    everything else :-)

    This description is used when the mailing list is listed with
    other mailing lists, or in headers, and so forth. It should be as
    succinct as you can get it, while still identifying what the list
    is.

SUBJECT_PREFIX: [implementations-list]

    This text will be prepended to subject lines of messages posted to
    the list, to distinguish mailing list messages in mailbox
    summaries. Brevity is premium here, it's ok to shorten long
    mailing list names to something more concise, as long as it still
    identifies the mailing list. You can also add a sequential number
    by %d substitution directive. eg.; [listname %d] -> [listname 123]
    (listname %05d) -> (listname 00123)

Although changing them isn't painless, if there ever was a right
moment to do it, it is now.

> 3. By default, nowadays Gmane encrypts all mail addresses in the
> news and web interfaces as an anti-spam measure (it looks like
> <joaotavora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>).

Personally, I prefer people to see my real address.

Vegard