[implementations-list] [Vimpulse] Fixing things in Vimpulse vs. Viper; XEmacs support (was: Bug: something's worng when pasting whole lines:)

Jason Spiro jasonspiro3 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 00:39:23 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Vegard Øye <vegard_oye at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, this is the "right" way to do it. What Viper does is to check if
> the text to be pasted ends with a newline, which might fail at the end
> of the buffer. (But that doesn't seem to be the problem here.)
>
> I should probably reimplement block pasting in terms of yank-handler,
> and maybe redefine the `viper-[Pp]ut-back' functions, too. But then
> there's XEmacs ...

If you want to fix this, why would you fix it in Vimpulse?  Why not in
Viper?  :)

> TBH, if it weren't for the fact that Viper supports XEmacs already, I
> would never have bothered with XEmacs compatibility. And I think
> Vimpulse would have been better off without it. Every time I encounter
> some XEmacs idiosyncracy needing special treatment, Vimpulse's code
> inevitably grows exponentially, no matter how hard I try to do things
> "cleanly" with reuseable functions that do what I want depending on
> the circumstances.

You're the maintainer.  It's 100% fine for you to stop supporting
XEmacs if you want.  If you do so, may I suggest you put in a message
in the documentation stating what the last XEmacs-compatible Vimpulse
version is, and pointing out that someone else can take over XEmacs
support if they want.

If you want, you can also decide that all the new XEmacs support code
that people contribute from now on must go into a separate file in the
Vimpulse source tree.  But that might be a bit of a harsh decree.  :)

--
Jason Spiro: software/web developer, packager, trainer, IT consultant.
I support Linux, UNIX, Windows, and more. Contact me to discuss your needs.