[implementations-list] [IMPORTANT] Setting up a Gmane mirror (was Re: mailing list administration, Gmane)

Štěpán Němec stepnem at gmail.com
Thu May 27 21:19:01 CEST 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 05:55:18PM +0000, Vegard Øye wrote:
> I am now a list admin.
>
> Štěpán, feel free to subscribe the list to Gmane.

Thanks!

So, several things (TO ALL READERS of this list -- I'd really appreciate
your input at least on points 2. and 3. below):

1. It's best to import the ML archive before actually providing the
Gmane interface, as it is less work/trouble (no article re-numbering
problems etc.).

For that, we should provide a single mbox file containing the archive
(see <http://gmane.org/import.php>).

At <https://lists.ourproject.org/pipermail/implementations-list/>, there
are gzipped mbox archives per-month, so it's not that bad -- I can just
download them all and `cat' them into a single file, but I thought I'd
ask anyway -- do you have access to a single file containing all the
archives?

2. Gmane uses a NNTP-like newsgroups hierarchy, so we should settle on
how we suggest Gmane to name the group. I assume it's rather
uncontroversial that we should be something in the `gmane.emacs'
hierarchy, so the question is about that "something". My suggestion is
`gmane.emacs.vim-emulation' (as a side note, the name of this list has
always seemed really bad to me -- it says nothing about what the list is
about; but I guess we have to live with that -- and those who might come
after us, too. Another option would be to not be so general and go for
`gmane.emacs.vimpulse', but AIUI this list was supposed to provide a
wider forum. Any ideas really appreciated. I guess `gmane.emacs.modal'
is kinda nice, too, but probably overly general.)

3. By default, nowadays Gmane encrypts all mail addresses in the news
and web interfaces as an anti-spam measure (it looks like
<joaotavora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>). Those addresses
are valid, i.e. you can send mail to them just fine (and it gets
redirected to the actual subscription address), it's just a kind of
obfuscation. I personally dislike it and it can be switched off at
subscription time, but I'm not going to do that unless more people on
this list feel the same -- in my impression, most people prefer
obfuscation or even subscribed-only mailing lists to the occasional
(very rare in my limited experience, but don't take my word for it) spam
message.

Štěpán