[implementations-list] Dear readers: We need ten minutes of your time to test Vegard's vimpulse-modal so we can decide if to include it in Vimpulse or not

Štěpán Němec stepnem at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 01:06:06 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 08:13:04PM -0500, Jason Spiro wrote:
> Dear implementations-list readers,
>
> We need a volunteer to test vimpulse-modal.el, a file which Vegard
> wants included in Vimpulse.  Vegard can't volunteer, since he himself
> wrote vimpulse-modal.  But anyone else who uses Vimpulse can
> volunteer, even if they don't know how to code in elisp, and even if
> they're not an expert at using Vimpulse.  Just tell us:
>
> *  if vimpulse-modal worked for you,
> *  whether you think that it makes Vimpulse better or not,
> *  and any comments, if you have any.
>
> Alessandro is too busy to volunteer, and I'm not really interested.  I
> haven't been using Emacs much lately.
>
> You can download vimpulse-modal from
> http://my-trac.assembla.com/vimpulse/ticket/14 -- look in the
> "Attachments" section.
>
> Once you test it, just reply to this email to send your test results
> to the mailing list.  One person's opinion is enough for us to decide
> if vimpulse-modal merits being included in Vimpulse or not.  But even
> if someone else has posted their opinion, you can post your opinion
> too if you want.
>
> The rest of this email is Vegard's description of vimpulse-modal,
> copied from the Trac ticket for it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Jason

The package works fine for me with the latest Emacs (built today from
the Git mirror of the main Bazaar repository) and today's SVN Vimpulse.

BTW, this is ridiculous -- Vegard, as the current maintainer of Vimpulse
and the author of vimpulse-modal.el, is the one who should decide
whether to include it or not. You (Jason) are going to make such a
decision for him, based on an opinion of a single user?

I'm very happy Vimpulse has got a maintainer that really cares about the
package and makes it better. I have not tested it havily yet, but it's
already obvious that nothing serious is broken since the last version,
right on the contrary: Vegard fixed some bugs and added useful
functionality.

Thank you very much and put up the good work!

P.S.: What I miss from vimpulse-modal.el are the unmapping functions
to complement the mapping functionality. Maybe you're going to add them
after merging with Vimpulse, as well as the Vim (un)mapping Ex commands?