[implementations-list] Messing around with viper and its extensions

Vegard Øye vegard_oye at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 1 15:35:12 CET 2010

> From: konrad at scorciapino.com
> To: implementations-list at lists.ourproject.org
>
> The visual mode evaluation wasn't working at all. First, the
> variable which was used to check if the user was on the visual mode
> was prefixed with viper-, but since I could only find it in
> vimpulse.el, I changed the prefix. Secondly, for some reason, the
> function '(vimpulse-set-mark)' was commented in vimpulse.el, so I
> had to uncomment it. I also changed a bit some other functions and
> got the Visual Line mode working more consistently.

Try the SVN version. It's far from bug-free, but slightly more useable.

http://www.assembla.com/spaces/vimpulse/trac_subversion_tool

I have done a rewrite of Visual mode to make it compatible with
Emacs regions; that is, you can make a visual selection and do
M-x indent-region on it, rather than having to write your own
indentation function which recognizes visual boundaries. While I use
it for my everyday work, it's still alpha, and needs testing before
committing to SVN. Would you help with testing it?

> Besides that, I started to write viper bindings to ibuffer-mode.
> My idea is to write bindings for all modes a user might possibly
> find, thus providing a vi-like experience everywhere.

The viper-in-more-modes.el project, which I am now the maintainer of,
intends to collect all such bindings in one package. Feel free to send
me the bindings if you want them included.

> I've attached the patches relative to the files I've changes. This
> is my first experience with elisp programming, so criticism of any
> kind is welcome.

Seems they didn't make it through to the mailing list. Maybe you could
make a ticket at our bug tracker and upload them there?

http://my-trac.assembla.com/vimpulse/report/

Vegard

Happy new year!