Equivalent of 'hidden'

George V. Reilly george at reilly.org
Mon Aug 23 19:00:10 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 1:59 AM, Vegard Øye <vegard_oye at hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 2010-08-22 00:30, George V. Reilly wrote:
>
> > Is there an equivalent to Vim's 'hidden' option? Every time I use
> > C-^ to switch to the alternate buffer, I'm getting an annoying
> > message about "Buffer foo is modified. Discard changes? (yes or
> > no)". If I switch with :b or "C-x b", I don't get that message.
>
> Unfortunately, this text is hard-coded into `ex-edit', which is called
> when you invoke :e# or C-^. However, you may rebind C-^ with one of
>
>    (define-key viper-vi-global-user-map (kbd "C-^") (kbd ":b RET"))
>    (define-key viper-vi-global-user-map (kbd "C-^") (kbd "C-x b RET"))

Thanks. It's all about the muscle memory.

> Vimpulse (or Viper?) doesn't seem to work terribly well with
> > Aquamacs 2.1. They work a lot better with Emacs 23.2 from
> > http://emacsformacosx.com/.
>
> I don't have a Mac, unfortunately, so I'm unable to test with Aquamacs.
>
> Are there any benefits to using Aquamacs now that Cocoa integration
> is part of GNU Emacs 23?

The Aquamacs say there is. It's certainly more Mac-ish out of the box. I
haven't really spent long enough with either Aquamacs or Emacs 23 to have a
strong feeling about it. And I spend a good deal of time on Windows and
Linux too, so I'm probably better off with Emacs 23.

/George